Dog seems to be having breathing trouble

(11 Posts)
Baloonphobia Tue 14-May-19 23:30:59

Recently dog seems to have become very noisy in his breathing at rest. He sounds a bit like he's snoring when he's awake on the couch. Only when lying down though. The minute he raises his head the noise stops. This evening he seems to be occasionally doing a series of double breaths, ie he's breathing in twice to breathe out. Otherwise he seems ok. Anyone have experience of this? He's prob about 10 yo.

OP’s posts: |
jp237 Tue 14-May-19 23:33:49

Take him to a vet.

Baloonphobia Tue 14-May-19 23:35:12

He can't go tomorrow. I'm having a baby.

Baloonphobia Tue 14-May-19 23:36:31

But he does need to go.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Tue 14-May-19 23:37:41

I'm not often left speechless by a one line response on MN but here we are...

Get someone else to take the dog to the vet tomorrow? What breed is the dog - something like a pug?

jp237 Tue 14-May-19 23:41:10

If he needs to go it's your responsibility as a pet owner to arrange this. If you can't take him make alternative arrangements. Or phone the RSPCA and explain that you are unable to look after the dog and ask for help.

Baloonphobia Tue 14-May-19 23:41:49

No, a collie crossed with God knows what. You're right, I'll have to arrange something for him.

Advertisement

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 14-May-19 23:44:23

Breathing in twice to one breath out suggest serious issues that need to be seen tonight. Please phone an emergency vet now.

BiteyShark Wed 15-May-19 07:47:44

Options are phone emergency vets and call a friend or relative to help out.

Lots of dog walkers also do pet taxis so you could phone one today and coordinate taking him to the vets.

Find a vet who does home visits.

Someone must be down to be looking after him whilst you have a baby so give them authority to get vet treatment (I leave my boarders with a signed letter giving them authority which my vet is happy to accept).

Baloonphobia Wed 15-May-19 08:12:50

He's gone to the vet for the day at least. They have permission to do whatever they think is necessary. At the moment they think it's more chronic than acute though.

mummymayhem18 Wed 15-May-19 08:19:19

Hope he's ok and good luck and congratulations on your impending newborn ☺️

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in