Talk

Advanced search

Lurcher- Just the way they are?

(101 Posts)
noodlenosefraggle Wed 01-May-19 13:09:13

We are fostering a whippet x at the moment with a view to adopting him. He is really lovely and the reason we looked into a whippet/ greyhound type dog is that we knew they didn't need tons of exercise and they could be left as we both work. He's not usually left for more than 3 hours without a dog walker and he seems fine. I'm working from home today and was interested in what he did all day. He has literally laid on the sofa! I gave him his Kong which he played with for a bit until it got too difficult to get the bits at the end, he ran around the garden for about 5 seconds then had a lie down, I threw him a frizbee and a ball but he just looked at me! Should I do something else? I got him a big bone from the butcher, a string of sausages to chew, a soft scrunchy toy to squeak,none of which he bothers with! He has a long morning and afternoon walk and is forced out for a quick loo walk in the evening.

OP’s posts: |
LochJessMonster Tue 03-Dec-19 11:02:18

I know this is a zombie thread but I threw him a frizbee and a ball but he just looked at me! just sums up greyhounds grin

Sistedtwister Mon 02-Dec-19 22:38:31

We have a collie greyhound cross. She's had a happy day today watching me work and a couple of 20 minute walks. She is about 4 we think maybe a bit younger. We've had her just over a year.
She's as daft as a brush. Brings a ball back but won't let it go. Loves people but tends to rifle through pockets / shopping bags.
She hurds us together on walks by gently nipping your bum and shoving her snoot where a snoot should never go. She gets a bit upset if we split up on walks.

She's very trainable. Only issue we have is that she doesn't like other dogs. She's covered in scars so I think she may have been attacked at some point.

I adore her

Sinisilm69 Mon 02-Dec-19 20:53:59

I have a lurcher, seems that collie cross, she's beautiful, only a puppy still, about 7-8 mounths old. We got her from shelter, nobody knew much about her, just a stray. But she's so good on the lead, no pulling or anything. Most important, she's so friendly and we have 3 cats 😁,so far no fight, cats giving up the hope that she's just passing by. Best dog I ever had. But she's a little thief, she's interested of everything. Best dog for busy life.

Thatsnotmyname4291 Fri 10-May-19 05:18:39

He’s gorgeous! Those eyes! Yes, those long noses are great for opening bins and sniffing what’s on kitchen counters.

noodlenosefraggle Mon 06-May-19 16:07:05

Maybe. He has whippet x on his pet passport. His nose is getting much use opening the bin to get crisp packets out [grin

ExCwmbranDweller Mon 06-May-19 12:22:13

He could just be a big whippet, my boy is outside 'breed standards' <spits - what do they know?> . Your Freddyfraggle looks very whippety, he certainly has the perfect nose for the job. So elegant.

noodlenosefraggle Sun 05-May-19 18:49:25

Not sure. He's a bit bigger than a whippet so maybe greyhound.

bluetongue Sun 05-May-19 12:25:11

Congratulations on the adoption smile

He certainly looks very whippetty. Do you know what else he has in the mix?

noodlenosefraggle Sun 05-May-19 07:55:52

sexnotgender Yes, when the rescue came round for a home visit, we said we'd foster to see how we got along with dog ownership- cue a week after we got him, casually looking up dog friendly hotels for the summer grin

Beachbodynowayready Sat 04-May-19 22:21:58

Enid I love a tatty Lurcher!! Spoke to a woman at our park who had a gorgeous one. After covering her ddog's ears she confided she loved the smooth ones more but would never tell her ddog!!
That's true love imo!!

SingingSands Sat 04-May-19 20:55:58

These photos - beautiful, all of them! (The cats too!)

EnidPrunehat Sat 04-May-19 19:07:28

Lurchers are lovely. I cannot imagine how I lived for so long without one. I adore my pup. He loves the whole world too. He's not what I'd call hyperactive either ...

Sexnotgender Sat 04-May-19 18:30:59

Ah, love a failed foster! freddyfraggle is beautiful.

ChrisPrattsFace Sat 04-May-19 17:44:59

If my girl can find someone to run as fast as her and for as long as her, she would be happy!
We have yet to meet anyone who can keep up, whippets/lurchers/greyhounds included!
She could have won me a lot of money if lurcher racing was such a thing 😂

Beachbodynowayready Sat 04-May-19 17:35:57

Am thinking we need a Lovely Lurcher Club?!
Imagine meeting up with loads of Lurchers??
Ddoggy heaven!

noodlenosefraggle Sat 04-May-19 17:00:48

Introducing the newly adopted freddyfraggle, with non IKEA collar grin

ChrisPrattsFace Fri 03-May-19 21:55:43

@Beachbodynowayready I do t think I’ve ever seen a picture represent lurcher ownership as well as your first one 😂
My lurcher is as active or as lazy as I am, she’s also as stupid as me so we go well together! She’s my 6th, and I’d have another and another and another in a heartbeat. (Although I do look for a specific cross for mine cos I’m fussy)

CMOTDibbler Fri 03-May-19 21:50:29

We have three cats, two lurchers, chickens, and an ever changing cast of foster lurcher puppies.
I foster for EGLR, and we don't have any hard rules on rehoming to homes with children. The youngest child one of 'my' pups has gone to live with was 2 - it just depends on the dog in question

Beachbodynowayready Fri 03-May-19 21:42:35

My ds has been around ddogs his whole life. My older dc since toddlers. If you are totally committed to supervising them together no better relationship will you see develop ime.
Lurchers give off calming vibes that do your dc good!!
Even my dgc who is a bloody whirlwind (3yo) goes all goey and soft around them!

Nowthereistwo Fri 03-May-19 21:25:12

My 3yr old dd loves our greyhound and vice versa. My mum has him 2 days a week and loves him but needs a smaller scale and is actively looking for a whippet now.

Sexnotgender Fri 03-May-19 16:28:46

I have 2 cats too.

GetOffTheRoof Fri 03-May-19 16:18:06

Yes, mine lives with a cat. She still wants to chase unfamiliar cats that she sees running, but we're always working on that. She can ignore static cats now, but if they sprint, she does struggle to resist the chase.

Phillpot12 Fri 03-May-19 16:11:49

Watching them run is fantastic but also great snugglers, I don't think she realises she is not a lap dog!

Beachbodynowayready Fri 03-May-19 15:48:53

She was a very efficient killer with her own fb page. Yuck.
Morphed into a complete sofa sloth now. Loves the dc to bits. And has learned how to bark at 8 years old!!
Dc taught them both to play hide and seek in our house. It's amazing the pleasure they give and receive.. Can't wait to be a Lovely Lurcher Lady in my dotage and have more than 2!!

SingingSands Fri 03-May-19 15:18:50

That's brilliant @Beachbodynowayready I'll quote this to DH!

The cat actively hates me so it would be nice to have a pet that I could call "mine" grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in