Chewing the God damb fence panels

(15 Posts)
Louiselouie0890 Mon 29-Apr-19 16:56:21

Any tips? I've found a roll of wire mesh but think he will just chew through that too

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Mon 29-Apr-19 16:57:46

Is he a puppy?

Mine used to try and he got bought back in every single time so his fun stopped.

Grew out of it eventually grin

Smotheroffive Mon 29-Apr-19 17:02:28

Age?
I would section off a part of the garden, ensure plenty of exercise to avoid boredom and too much energy, and provide lots of interesting things for playing, investigation and chewing/teething.

Wolfiefan Mon 29-Apr-19 17:06:43

When is this happening?

Louiselouie0890 Mon 29-Apr-19 17:40:47

Hes a puppy he gets brought back in everytime. Thing is it's cheap fence panels so it's very easily chewed and we share fences so we have to replace them. Also has to be like for like we cant get a better stronger fence panel

Wolfiefan Mon 29-Apr-19 17:41:35

If he’s a puppy then don’t leave him out unsupervised. The little sods will eat anything. Mine tried to eat her way through a tree. shock

Louiselouie0890 Mon 29-Apr-19 17:52:21

shock a tree!! grin

Advertisement

Louiselouie0890 Mon 29-Apr-19 18:00:39

The back door is usually left open so hes free to go wee and poo. Hes very good at going out but when the door is shut he doesnt quite know how to tell us he needs to go out so he ends up doing it in the house.

He likes just going out and lounging in the sun. His toys are always out there as hes a bit too big to be lashing round with toys hes a dogue de Bordeaux and he will wipeout my kids when he gets excited with his toys lol but he will chew up anything. He demolishes toys, hed probably be digging if we had a grass garden

BiteyShark Mon 29-Apr-19 18:32:38

I wouldn't leave the back door open until he is house trained otherwise he may not understand that there is a clear division between outside and inside.

Also if he is peeing and pooing unsupervised outside you are missing the opportunities to praise and reinforce that outside is good. Similarly if he is doing it inside you need to up the supervision so you can recognise the signs and take outside immediately.

Wolfiefan Mon 29-Apr-19 19:42:18

Haha. She’s a wolfhound.
Leaving the door open won’t teach your dog to toilet outside. You need to take him out after sleeping, eating, drinking and napping. And every 30 mins besides. On a lead. Praise if he does. If he doesn’t go back in and watch closely.

missbattenburg Mon 29-Apr-19 19:56:41

I didn't let Battendog just wander in and out until a year or so old. And even then with someone hovering in the kitchen keeping a beady eye out...

Smotheroffive Mon 29-Apr-19 23:31:04

You have to be really careful about buying toys that are safe for a strong jaw that it can't destroy.

Leaving him alone to destroy toys is risky, as is leaving a pup alone anywhere. You need to get better toys, and there's no rule that says you can't replace with a thicker/better quality panel, especially when it involves keeping control of a big ddog, or you could fall foul of the law

How old?

Smotheroffive Mon 29-Apr-19 23:33:30

A roll of wire mesh, sounds very risky with a chewy big ddog.
Buy some tall metal stakes and chain link to protect the fence temporarily if you don't want to replace with better panels.

But buy sturdy toys, and don't leave him alone to get bored and chewing.

Veterinari Tue 30-Apr-19 20:43:13

If he’s chewing He’s teething, bored or frustrated. He needs supervising and redirecting onto appropriate chew toys

adaline Tue 30-Apr-19 22:31:40

Please don't ever leave your dog alone with toys! If they're a strong chewer they can easily rip them apart and swallow chunks off them - which can cause blockages which ultimately can be fatal.

Mine is 14 months and it's only in the last month or so that I've trusted him alone in a room uncrated for any length of time, or unsupervised in the back garden. Even then I have to do a quick check to make sure there's nothing dangerous.

I don't mean to come across as patronising by the way! I've just read so many horror stories of perfectly healthy young dogs dying from preventable obstructions because their owners have just left them unsupervised.

Nothing is indestructible to a determined dog - they can eat their way through walls,
sofas and doors if so inclined!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in