Can anyone recommend a dog training book?

(13 Posts)
Springerfan Wed 17-Apr-19 18:16:50

I'm looking for something on positive behavioural methods, specifically to reduce barking at visitors and pulling on lead. I've read Karen Pryor's Don't Shoot the Dog, which was interesting but a bit theory heavy...I could do with a step by step guide from an evidence-based, credible source that will help me understand a dog's perspective and manage behaviour
My dog is nearly 2, and I suspect entering a tricky adolescent phase.
What have people found helpful?

OP’s posts: |
OverFedStanley Wed 17-Apr-19 20:11:33

Although aimed at puppies easy peasy puppy squeezy will help you in clear easy to follow instructions on barking at visitors and loose lead walking

OverFedStanley Wed 17-Apr-19 20:12:55

here are free videos to help

Springerfan Wed 17-Apr-19 20:32:11

Thanks, I'll have a look
Does anyone have an opinion on Victoria Sitwell's books (not sure of spelling)?

OverFedStanley Wed 17-Apr-19 20:35:20

The newer ones are okish the early ones are rubbish and even she admits her advice was wrong

BorderlineExperimental Wed 17-Apr-19 20:45:04

If you're on FB join the group Dog Training Advice and Support, there's a pretty good recommended reading list in the 'Files' section as well as lots of helpful guides and articles for new puppy owners.

I will admit that I've not actually read it yet (I have a problem with buying dog related books...) but one that's not on the list that might be worth a look is this one. I've had a flick through and it seems pretty good plus I do like the other books by the same author.

Springerfan Wed 17-Apr-19 21:07:33

Ta for the suggestions

Advertisement

AgathaF Thu 18-Apr-19 19:26:21

Zak George. He has a great book and lots of videos on YouTube (although he does a bit of annoying advertising for the first 30 secs of each video). Great trainer though.

Springerfan Thu 18-Apr-19 22:51:10

Ah I was looking at one of his books on line..i've ordered the Easy Peasy one for starters. Got my clicker ready
This dog had better look sharp and think on!

percheron67 Thu 18-Apr-19 23:04:21

If you can find anything in print by Barbara Woodhouse. She was a talented trainer and dogs enjoyed working with her. I follow her methods and do not have trouble with dogs pulling, being aggressive or not obeying commands. She would have been horrified at some of the nonsense spouted today!

Springerfan Fri 19-Apr-19 18:58:22

That's a blast from the past! I remember Barbara Woodhouse on TV when I was a kid.

OverFedStanley Fri 19-Apr-19 19:33:47

One we want to keep in the past too.......ignorant women with awful training methods thank goodness times have changed smile

Springerfan Fri 19-Apr-19 22:16:45

Overfed - what makes you say that? Genuine question, I don't know her methods

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in