Do you brush your dogs teeth?

(22 Posts)
Dora26 Fri 12-Apr-19 18:37:21

Had my 2 year old springers cleaned as suggested while she was under for spay, but otherwise is quite expensive and they are recommending every year or 2! Checked in with my niece who is a 4-year vet student in US and she is big into dental health and says it can add 2-3 years to life. My friend told me she brushes...….anyone?

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Fri 12-Apr-19 18:40:57

Yes we do, well DH does, as he manages to clean them better than me.

He has them done every night and whilst it's a bit hit and miss it does make such a difference. When he comes back from dog boarding after we have been on holiday his breath stinks and his teeth are dirty hence why we know that brushing, even for just a few seconds a day helps to keep them clean.

brownjumper Fri 12-Apr-19 18:44:57

What do you use to brush with? And any tips?

BorderlineExperimental Fri 12-Apr-19 18:45:54

Yep, mine get theirs brushed every evening before bed. I use an enzymatic toothpaste (Logic Oral Hygiene Gel) and it's definitely made a difference.

BiteyShark Fri 12-Apr-19 18:52:44

We use the same toothpaste as PP, logic gel.

The toothbrush is a very soft pet one so it doesn't damage his gums. Expensive but the best one I have found https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077XMMNYB/ref=cmsww_rcpp_apiii_N.mSCbVFVWXND

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Fri 12-Apr-19 18:56:35

I don't brush as quite frankly I nearly lost fingers doing eye drops and teeth would be worse.

However, I do give him a raw meaty bone from time to time, as recommended by our old vet for dental health. Apart from that, I don't feed raw. My local butcher sells them and it works out about 20p for a fist sized lump - I buy a few at a time, freeze and defrost one at a time. He's now nearly 3 and has pearly white gnashers - new vet commented on how good they are.

Avoid Dentastix etc - they're full of crap and hated by vets as they do sod all.

BiteyShark Fri 12-Apr-19 18:56:42

brownjumper DH hugs BiteyDog whilst he does it to keep him still. It's a bit of a battle at times but even if you just get some smeared on their teeth and gums it helps. We also let him lick the brush a bit afterwards as he likes the taste even if he isn't keen on the brushing.

Advertisement

Cyberworrier Fri 12-Apr-19 19:04:26

Our dog has Whimzee vegetable chews regularly and his sparkling teeth are always commented on by the vets. We started trying to brush his teeth when he was younger but found it tricky. If the vet ever says his teeth need it, we will start again but honestly he gets so many comments on his beautiful teeth we are happy to leave it for now!

Bunnybigears Fri 12-Apr-19 19:10:06

Ddog really needs his brushing but as he is a previously abused rescue dog the few times I have tried I have nearly lost my arm never mind my fingers. Our previous dog was raw fed and had amazing teeth.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Fri 12-Apr-19 19:25:50

The hamster has whimzee chews (they're commonly used as hamsters like to gnaw on them to grind their continuously growing teeth down).

The dog, on the other hand, didn't recognise them as food hmm

wheelwarrior Sat 13-Apr-19 12:09:51

No. But he us raw fed and gets a regular big meaty bone to chew on .
Vet always comments on how good his teeth are,when has boosters .

GreytExpectations Sat 13-Apr-19 22:53:04

Yes we do (well Dh does!). We have a retired greyhound and the ex racers are known to suffer with bad teeth so we are hoping it can prevent any future issues. We do it ever other day

dangermouseisace Sun 14-Apr-19 10:35:17

We were told at at puppy party at the vets, to brush their teeth
to avoid expensive cleaning/extraction. We use enzyme toothpaste and a double headed brush. It took a couple of goes to find a toothpaste he likes but he’s happy to sit there and mainly chew the toothbrush 😂

pigsDOfly Sun 14-Apr-19 12:49:20

Yes I do. I used to do it intermittently and tbh it probably didn't make a great deal of difference, but since dog had her last scale and polish I've been doing it every evening before bed and and really can see the difference.

I also use Logic, which really is the best.

It can be a struggle and you really need to keep at it.

My dog was very resistant to it for a long time, now she jumps onto the sofa when she sees I've got the toothpaste and brush - I do it with her sitting on my lap - as she seems to quite enjoy it now; probably because of the flavour rather than the brushing.

vjg13 Sun 14-Apr-19 15:51:12

Yes, battery operated toothbrush and logic oral hygiene, followed by a chewy teeth cleaning treat as a reward. Approx every other day.

Prequelle Sun 14-Apr-19 15:52:31

No. When I got him he had stained tea but with rope toys his teeth are now gleaming and strangely his breath smells of absolutely nothing. He has a dental check every 6 months.

2dogsandPG Sun 14-Apr-19 21:35:34

No.

We raw feed and they get bones every few weeks from the butchers.

TurnOffTheTv Sun 14-Apr-19 21:43:16

Yep!

We got a toothpaste/brush set from Amazon, it lasts for ages.

www.amazon.co.uk/Plaque-Bamboo-Charcoal-Toothbrush-Orange/dp/B074V3DHJ9/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&keywords=plaque+off+kit&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&qid=1555274267&sr=1-4

We have dental bones as well (don't know which brand, loads on Amazon though)

She sits pretty well when we do it on a night!

Honeyroar Sun 14-Apr-19 21:51:05

Interesting thread. I've always had dogs with fantastic teeth, but one of my current dogs has iffy breath and gets plaque. I think I need to brush hers.

Floralnomad Sun 14-Apr-19 21:56:57

I brush our dogs teeth , he also has the whimzee cross chews , although he doesn’t always eat them and he has braided ostrich tendons which are also supposed to help . His teeth still aren’t perfect . My dsis has a 16 yr old JRT x Border who has recently had to have most of her teeth out but she’s so vicious you couldn’t possible brush them , however it doesn’t seem to have affected her life expectancy .

LimeJellyHead Thu 18-Apr-19 14:49:30

I use Logic toothpaste and the fabric (microfibre?) Lintbells finger brushes... so easy to use. Love them.

JaneEyre07 Thu 18-Apr-19 14:52:46

Logic toothpaste. And the aloe stuff you add to their water.

Spaniel aged 6 - vet said teeth and gums were amazing.

Puppy has got lovely all new adult shiny teeth so not touched hers yet. Her nickname is babyshark for good reason..... grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in