Crate in bedroom

(9 Posts)
Pumpkinsoup22 Thu 11-Apr-19 20:10:37

We've just got a beautiful 10 week puppy, Peggy. She's settled in really well and sleeps for 6-7 hours overnight in the bedroom.
Just wondering when would be a good time to move her crate downstairs. Obviously don't want to unsettle her when things are going so well but also don't want to be lugging a crate upstairs when she's 5.

OP’s posts: |
Whywhywhy1 Mon 22-Jul-19 22:30:37

I am watching with interest as I will be bringing my puppy home in 2 weeks.

Girlintheframe Tue 23-Jul-19 05:14:09

We had pup in our room for the first 3 weeks then moved it little by little out. Every few days I would move the crate further away from our bed. Eventually I moved it out of our room all together and into the dining room. Pup didn't seem to mind at all.
If you find he's crying when you move it, leave it where it is then try moving it again in another few days.

Thisandthat1248 Fri 02-Aug-19 12:24:05

We tried this and ended up buying two crates haha!

He (2 years old) now just sleeps on a bed on our floor.

We also go a second puppy and skipped the crate altogether, he has a pen in the day if we nip out and at night he just shares the dog bed with my older dog.

PrayingandHoping Fri 02-Aug-19 12:25:33

Don't make it one sudden move. Every couple of days move it further from your bed, into the hall etc and then into its final place

I did this with both mine and they were sleeping in final location all night within 2 weeks

Leonylioness Fri 02-Aug-19 13:46:03

Also watching with interest. The consensus seems to be to start off in the bed room. I had hoped to have puppy in my office on the ground floor and dh camping out there for a couple weeks. Bad idea?

fessmess Fri 02-Aug-19 13:58:01

Ours is 3 soon and still in a crate in our room. Fear is do away with crate and dog's on bed. She's a big dog so... a big crate.

Advertisement

missbattenburg Fri 02-Aug-19 14:27:17

The consensus seems to be to start off in the bed room. I had hoped to have puppy in my office on the ground floor and dh camping out there for a couple weeks. Bad idea?

I think plenty have done it this way with success. It's a plan with the key advantage that the puppy never gets used to sleeping anywhere else.

Jouska Fri 02-Aug-19 19:38:16

Does she sleep in the crate in the downstairs in the day time?

If so it is easier for the transition to night time and may mean you do not need to move the crate gradually

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in