Two dogs obsessively licking the other one

(9 Posts)
catinboots99 Sun 07-Apr-19 22:46:50

Hi. I have 3 JRTs, all related and all in their twilight years. I have two dogs and one bitch. They all have had various minor health problems recently due to age but have been easily remedied by the vet.

The bitch has had several soft lumps appear on her body over the last year. The vet aspirated them and we were told they were all non benign and not to worry as they were not affecting her movement/organs etc.

The last month or two, both the dogs have been obsessively licking her. Frantically. Mostly in her ears but often over her body. She doesn't object but seems to lie there impassively. I googled some stuff last night and is it a possibility that the others are doing this because she is unwell?

I plan on taking her to the vets for more bloods and a check up this week. I'm just so worried. She's not off food and she is still enjoying walks. She does sleep more now though.

OP’s posts: |
WBWIFE Sun 07-Apr-19 22:48:32

My dogs licked my ill dog excessively. In his mouths and a lump appeared which was cancerous.

Probably worth a trip to the vet just in case

catinboots99 Sun 07-Apr-19 23:21:23

Thanks for the reply @WBWIFE

Obviously with all these lumps and bumps I'm fearing the worst. Animals are just so amazing aren't they?

WBWIFE Sun 07-Apr-19 23:25:59

They are indeed. My other dog told me I was pregnant, wouldn't leave my side and was constantly sniffing my boobs!

Googled and it said dogs can sense cancer or pregnancy hormones so I took a test and I was in fact pregnant!

WBWIFE Sun 07-Apr-19 23:26:49

I'm sure all will be ok. If it is the worst the maybe surgery is needed?

The dog with the cancer had surgery at 14 and was fine once it had been cut out

catinboots99 Mon 08-Apr-19 23:01:35

Any other posters have any experience of this? I'm looking at her tonight and am sure her bumps have increased in size. Would benign growths behave in that way?

Absolutepowercorrupts Mon 08-Apr-19 23:06:42

I had 3 boxers, one of the females had a lump and the other two licked it obsessively, I took her to the vet and it was malignant and was removed. She lived for many years after it was removed.
I actually told the vet that was one of the reasons I had taken her, she didn't seem surprised at all

Advertisement

Absolutepowercorrupts Mon 08-Apr-19 23:07:48

The vet didn't seem surprised not the dog!

Nesssie Wed 10-Apr-19 12:25:34

I would also make sure the bitch has time away from the other dogs so she isn't constantly being licked. Its not good for her skin and just because she lays there and takes it, doesn't mean she likes it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in