Puppy poo problems

(11 Posts)
Notrusthere Sat 30-Mar-19 07:20:20

Pup is 14 weeks old. Doing really well but we have a bit of an issue with his bowels.

When he was 9 weeks he had bad diarreah. Went to the vets who said it was probably something he'd eaten (he's a nightmare everything in the garden goes in his mouth, leaves, grass etc. We actually had to confine him to an area that's just gravel and he finally seems to have stopped eating that!)
Vet put him on probiotic paste some other kind of paste i cant remember what. Fed him rice and chicken for a week and he went back to normal.

Unfortunately once a week or so he has loose stools and horrendous wind 🤢 we do the rice thing and have started adding natural yoghurt too.

It's hard to do any training when he's like this as he's food orientated and bits of cheese or packet treats make the problem worse.

He's on Autarky chicken and rice hypoallergenic puppy food which he came to us from the breeder on.

Yesterday on our walk he ate horse manure for the first time and last night queue room clearing wind and this morning loose poo that stinks and is hard to pick up.

Any suggestions? (Will be ringing vets for appointment on Monday)

He's a Golden Retriver if that makes any difference

OP’s posts: |
Bananarama12 Sat 30-Mar-19 07:31:55

He obviously has a very sensitive stomach and you adding natural yoghurt, rice, cheese, treats etc to his diet won't help. Feed him JUST his biscuits and use them as training treats or plain cooked chicken.
As for the eating stuff on walks there's not much you can do about that! Unless you put a muzzle on him, doesn't do much for socialization though.

MissShapesMissStakes Sat 30-Mar-19 12:51:59

Hi
My puppy also had pretty loose nasty poos for a while. I think it is pretty common when they’re little.

Someone on here suggested just his kibble and to feed him slightly less. Over loading their tummies when they’re little really does cause very loose poo later on.
Both those suggestions worked wonders for our pup.
He’s now 9 months and can still be a bit loose in the evenings but he still eats loads of junk he picks up (bark, bits of stick etc). Also as I’m working really hard at the moment on recall he is getting extra treats and that doesn’t help. If I just give him his kibble and the occasional plain-ish treat though his poos are perfect grin

karen102 Sat 30-Mar-19 13:32:27

We had similar issues with our golden retriever puppy but put it down to eating rubbish and changing his food. He wasn't gaining weight properly and we eventually found out after tests that he had giardia, might be worth asking the vet about that specifically when you see them tomorrow.

Notrusthere Sat 30-Mar-19 13:37:12

Thanks for your responses.

Karen- that has occurred to me as well. I will ask about it when I take him.

I have also been working on recall he's doing so well off the lead,which means hea getting a lot more treats than he would normally!

I think going for cooked chicken for training treats is a good idea, I'll see if I can pick some up, just takes a bit more planning than cheese that's all wink

MissShapesMissStakes Sat 30-Mar-19 13:47:52

If you mix the cooked chicken pieces in a bag with some of his allowance of kibble for the day, they taste like the chicken and become more of a treat too.

Pringle89 Sat 30-Mar-19 15:16:06

Our pup was exactly the same until we switched to raw food and 100% dried meet treats and sprats etc. Not for everybody I know but there are no sloppy poo’s at all now, unless he gets hold of something he shouldn’t...managed to sneak a few Pom bears the other day 😂

Advertisement

adaline Sat 30-Mar-19 20:46:37

Stop with all the treats! He's only young and you're overloading his stomach with loads of different things that he doesn't need.

When mine was very young, all he got to eat was his food (a mix of kibble and wet) and cubes of ham for puppy classes and training. That was it up until about 5-6 months of age.

Stick with his normal food and use cooked ham or chicken for treats. He doesn't need anything else at this age, honestly.

It could also be that he doesn't handle rice very well - some prefer salmon and potato based foods.

simbobs Sat 30-Mar-19 20:58:57

Some dogs can't eat chicken either. I have a Lab and he has no problems at all and no smelly wind - ever - (unlike previous Lab). This one is only fed on Fish for Dogs, with bits of sprat as training treats. Once you have checked for parasites, assuming this is ruled out, you might want to look at changing his food, and as others have said keep to the low side of feeding guidelines. Overfeeding makes yellow, sloppy poo.

Notrusthere Sun 31-Mar-19 09:33:30

Thanks all, he's back to normal this morning.

To confirm the rice and natural yoghurt were added to his food as recommended by breeder and vets to help firm up his stool.

The treats we use for training purposes. He is not being overloaded with treats for the sake of it. He gets a tiny cube of cheese when recall training.

Notrusthere Sun 31-Mar-19 09:34:23

*Not added permanently, just as and when he has loose stools.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in