When to spay a puppy

(6 Posts)
DemelzaP Thu 28-Mar-19 06:53:49

I'm reading myself round in circles about this and just wanted to look for some more opinions.

She is currently six months old arms hasn't had a season yet.

OP’s posts: |
DemelzaP Thu 28-Mar-19 08:20:12

Is it possible to miss when they're in season? That is a vague worry I have.

OP’s posts: |
Crustyjugglers Thu 28-Mar-19 08:38:08

Hello. From six months is the general consensus. The old fashioned advice used to be to wait until they've had a season but most (up to date) vets agree that this is not necessary. The operation is easier, quicker and safer when they are young, not obese and have not had several seasons.

Each season they have increases the likelihood of them developing mamary tumours in later life and not spaying them at all puts them at risk of developing pyometra in later years which can be fatal or mean that they have to go through an ovariohysterectomy (spay) when they are older which is a much riskier operation.

Signs of being in season are generally pretty obvious - swollen vulva (may not be obvious if she is quite hairy!) and you will usually see blood spots in her bed or floor.

If she were mine, I would definitely spay her at six months. You will have to change her diet and watch her weight as neutered animals require around 25% less calories than entire ones.

Hope that helps! (I'm a RVN.) 😊

Gruffin Thu 28-Mar-19 10:55:27

Please don’t spay your dog before it’s fully grow because it could lead to serous health problems. Please have a read of this: dogsfirst.ie/health-issues/dog-neutering/

Gruffin Thu 28-Mar-19 10:58:09

And here are more to read: evetclinic.com/neutering-your-dog-3-problems-with-neutering-early/

adaline Thu 28-Mar-19 11:03:44

I wouldn't spay or neuter until 18 months at the earliest. Research has shown that dogs neutered too early can have joint problems as they haven't been allowed to grow to their proper size before losing their hormones.

My 13 month old is entire and will be staying that way for at least another five months.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in