Dog prostate problem

(15 Posts)
Hellenbackagen Wed 27-Mar-19 19:33:23


My dog is a 5 year old German shepherd.
He has been bleeding from the penis and vet thinks prostate issue and recommended having him castrated.

Partner reluctant to allow this although we have no plans to breed as he also has an elbow displasia. He is a lovely natured friendly dog and partner is worried that his personality might change.

He is actually my dog but I didn't want to just pull that and do it anyway. (Tho I did threaten that I'm afraid) but I would only get blamed if anything were to happen or his personality change god forbid .

Can anyone offer any advice please?
Vet said if it were her dog she would just have the op, a scan and cells
Checked to check for cancers and tumours. She says they are usually benign but that something must be happening with his prostate for it to be bleeding.

Partner not wanting the castration.
Vet says there is a hormone implant but costs £400 and she would just have him neutered.

I'm not sure what to do . We both love the dog.

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Wed 27-Mar-19 19:44:44

What's your partners suggestion then given he wants to go against vetinary advice?

BiteyShark Wed 27-Mar-19 19:53:06

From my limited googling it seems that castration can help in some prostate issues. I wouldn't want my dog to be in discomfort and would get it done.

Elmo311 Wed 27-Mar-19 19:53:20

He's 5. It shouldn't change his personality. If money isn't an issue, try the implant first (i think it lasts 6 months?) And you can see if there is a difference and what has like on that. Otherwise, I'd castrate him personally.
The anaesthetic risk gets higher the older he gets so that is a condisteration aswell.

Hellenbackagen Wed 27-Mar-19 19:53:32

He says he just wants to make an informed decision and says I somehow prevented him asking questions of the vet.

I was anxious that we do right for him as I'd hate for him to end up with something awful that we didn't act on .

Partner now saying do the op but i has wanted to be on same
Page with this.

OP’s posts: |
Hellenbackagen Wed 27-Mar-19 19:58:31

Tbh I've fucked it either way now. He clearly doesn't agree and I'm stuck now.
If I get it done and anything altered will be my fault.
If i don't and something happens will be my fault.

And I've made it my decision because I said he's my dog sad

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Wed 27-Mar-19 20:02:29

If he thinks you prevented him asking questions then he can phone the vet and ask to speak to them over the phone. Mine has been happy to do that when I needed to clarify things. He can also get a second opinion on whether castration is advised.

But I would be wondering whether he was just projecting his fears about the dog losing his man bits rather than what is best for the dog clinically.


Hellenbackagen Wed 27-Mar-19 20:11:51

I think he is genuinely worried that he may change because he thinks his testosterone is what makes him who he is .
He is a big slobbery teddy bear . Nice natured. Friendly. Playful. Funny.

I couldn't see how it would change him (had my old cav done at 6 when I got a rescue bitch) but he is worried and now I'm reluctant to make it my decision. And get the blame

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Wed 27-Mar-19 20:21:21

If it was clinically advised that castration would help with a prostate problem I would happily take that risk rather than leave him in discomfort or something worse.

Have you suggested you go back for another consultation so he can ask all those questions apparently you stopped him from asking?

Hellenbackagen Wed 27-Mar-19 20:34:38

I'm going to leave it to him I think . I've text suggesting he sort it and gets a second opinion. If I stay out of it I can't do anything wrong can I .

Thanks all .

OP’s posts: |
Bananarama12 Wed 27-Mar-19 20:40:14

Your dog is bleeding from his penis, but you are worried about his personality?

BiteyShark Wed 27-Mar-19 20:43:27

As long as staying out of it doesn't mean that nothing gets done by either of you and the dog continues to bleed and suffer.

RedRiverHog Wed 27-Mar-19 20:47:12

My fluffy and playful German Shepherd was neutered at age 2. There was no difference in him at all afterwards.

Hellenbackagen Wed 27-Mar-19 20:58:41

He won't be left like this. Is the odd
Drop of blood at min and started yesterday.

If I pull rank now it will make my life very hard.
I will if I must but I'd rather he look at the options and so what he thinks best.
That doesn't mean do nothing.

OP’s posts: |
Hellenbackagen Wed 27-Mar-19 21:05:55


He is insured. Partner is worried castration at this age could change him.
I don't want a different dog either. But be assured what's best for the dog will happen.

He was here before partner. He's my dog.
And in honesty partner probably loves dog more than me . He won't suffer . But if I say he's having XYZ end of my life will be difficult if anything does go wrong.

He needs to decide the treatment and act on it so I can't be held responsible. He will get treatment. He may decide on scans and tests before castration.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in