Spooked dog

(13 Posts)
Jultay Thu 21-Mar-19 08:00:47

Jw if anyone could shed any light on what might be wrong with my dog .
Winnie is a 21/2 year old Staffy X and just recently she has been acting very very strange in the night .
She sleeps on her bed at the side of my bed and a couple of times a week she wakes and is trembling like made and very scared . She's constantly looking at the bedroom door just staring and trembling.
This morning for example I've been awake since 530 am with her she just will not settle . She lies so close to me even trying to get on my head and trying to lick me as though she's desperate for reassurance.
It proper spookes me out as she stares as though she can see something .
Has anybody else experienced anything like this before please x

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Thu 21-Mar-19 08:11:27

Maybe she can hear animals or just noises outside. Mine will sometimes jump up and start growling and barking because of a noise he has heard. Makes me jump if I am asleep.

Have you tried a white noise machine (or a fan which makes a similar sound) to muffle out the noises?

MissShapesMissStakes Thu 21-Mar-19 08:16:34

My dog has started doing similar recently with the lights in the house - staring up and then, cowering and barking. He is at the age of the secondary fear stage though.
Someone suggested some calming remedies for him. I haven’t tried them yet. Maybe this is something you can try?

Jultay Thu 21-Mar-19 08:25:32

Yes I had my fan on last night ... normally if she hears noises she growls or barks ... this is very different

Flobochin Thu 21-Mar-19 08:26:40

Do you live in an old house, maybe you have ghosts.

BiteyShark Thu 21-Mar-19 08:28:42

maybe you have ghosts.

My dog once started backing up and barking at the ceiling like they do in the horror films grin

anniehm Thu 21-Mar-19 08:33:38

Mine wakes up doing that, it's that they have had a nightmare. Mine does get spooked by weird things but once you show him it's ok he doesn't react

Advertisement

Jultay Thu 21-Mar-19 11:02:38

No not an old house but I have wondered about ghosts ... she stares at my bedroom door which is open onto the landing

Beamur Thu 21-Mar-19 11:08:24

Mice? (More likely than ghosts) grin
Dogs have much better hearing than we do. Could you have a neighbour or milkman about at that time that your dog can hear?

Jultay Thu 21-Mar-19 11:41:59

Mice ? We do have a cat so unlikely unless they are in the loft 😲

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Thu 21-Mar-19 11:59:02

Ghosts was my first thought too. Otherwise, could it be foxes outside - they are making terrible noises at the moment as it is mating season.

Doggydoggydoggy Thu 21-Mar-19 14:10:25

Have you taken her to the vet?

My first thought would be she is having a seizure.
Not seeing a ghost hmm

Babyfoal Thu 21-Mar-19 16:55:02

I'm thinking foxes mating. The buggers had me awake twice last night

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in