Ok to leave dog for 5 hours?

(11 Posts)
duplodancer Fri 15-Mar-19 11:59:41

I am in the office (down the road) twice a week for 5 hours. Otherwise I work full time at home.
My dog does not suffer from separation anxiety and chills in the kitchen when I'm out.
Currently on those two days in the office someone walks him mid way through the day.
I'm just wondering if I could stop the dog walker and just make sure he has an extra long walk before I leave and when I get back on those days.
Anyone do similar?

OP’s posts: |
StarlightIntheNight Fri 15-Mar-19 12:04:20

I think its fine as long as the dog gets a proper walk play before/after. There is also no harm in testing it out to see how your dog copes. I have had to do this the odd day when I have a class going on (like once or twice a month) and my dog has had to be left 5 hours (until the part time nanny could get there to take the dog out for a walk before picking up kids). Anyway, the dog was fine....because I always made sure she got a proper play morning before and then again when I got home (plus she was taken for a walk by the nanny). I think 5 hours is fine.

adaline Fri 15-Mar-19 12:08:36

How old is your dog?

Personally I think for an older dog, five hours twice a week shouldn't be a problem at all, so long as he gets a good walk before and after.

Celebelly Fri 15-Mar-19 12:09:24

I'd have no issues doing with this with my own dog.

TheCrowFromBelow Fri 15-Mar-19 12:12:34

Mine is left for that long a couple of times a week and he just sleeps. He’s not even bothered about a walk before I go now, lazy old man at the grand old age of 7.
As long as he knows you’re coming back and is desperate for a wee I think it’s fine.

longearedbat Fri 15-Mar-19 12:15:29

I have certainly done it with dogs in the past. They soon get to know the routine. If I popped back from work unexpectedly I always used to get looked at in some surprise by the dogs, as if to say 'what are you doing? You are interrupting our sleep', and they were invariably asleep (on the sofa). Fine for older settled dogs.

DogInATent Fri 15-Mar-19 12:29:12

I've done it a couple of times when I've been stuck in traffic, but I generally try and avoid leaving her longer than four hours without someone coming in and letting her out.

It really does depend on the dog.

Advertisement

missbattenburg Fri 15-Mar-19 14:20:28

I think this really depends on the dog. A calm or older dog left with something to chew or eat might enjoy the peace. A young dog might struggle a bit.

On way to tell might to do something like:
- slowly move the walker time back so, instead of him waiting for 2.5 hours for his mid-way walk he waits for 3 hours, then 3.5, then 4 etc.
- record him during this time so you can see if he gets agitated at any point

This will also give him chance to get used to five hours vs having to suddenly do them one day.

Nesssie Fri 15-Mar-19 16:05:38

Depends on the dog but should be fine. The only potential issue could be his bladder routine but he should learn.

I leave my dog for longer than that with no problems, its all about the routine.

Floralnomad Fri 15-Mar-19 16:24:08

You know your dog and if he seems fine with it then there’s not an issue . My dog would be ok with that . I am working on the assumption that your dog is not crated when you are out .

pigsDOfly Fri 15-Mar-19 18:42:16

My dog is fine with that length of time. I don't leave her often but it's sometimes been longer than I feel is idea.

I give her her treat ball before I leave so she's got something to do in the immediate time after I walk out the door.

She's always so excited about getting her lovely pure chicken breast treats, kept only for this purpose, that she's practically pushing me out the door when I have to leave her.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in