My dog has diabetes

(5 Posts)
Camsie30 Thu 14-Mar-19 18:55:58

My 12 year old German Spitz has just been diagnosed with diabetes. I have to inject him with insulin twice a day, and he has to go to the vet overnight once a week for monitoring. Timing is just awful, I've got a newborn baby and four year old and am a solo parent. Does anyone have any advice/top tips on how to manage it?
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
happygardening Thu 14-Mar-19 21:53:21

My 13 year old dog developed diabetes (he had exceeded the average life expectancy for his breed) I spent along time discussing the implications with our vet and we both felt the best option was to put him to sleep.
He was the best dog we've ever owned and adored by everyone including my non doggy husband but we felt we owed it to him to do the right thing. I didn't regret it he went peacefully in my arms.

Camsie30 Thu 14-Mar-19 22:20:37

Thanks @happygardening what a difficult decision. We're not at that stage yet, Ted is totally fine in himself thank goodness. Life expectancy for the breed is around 15. I'm anxious about the treatment but have done his first injection this evening and it was ok

OP’s posts: |
Maneandfeathers Fri 15-Mar-19 06:52:33

Personally i would speak to the vet about other montoriting options.

Blood glucose curves are pretty awful and are not something I would put my dog through once per week.

Oceangirl82 Fri 15-Mar-19 07:09:01

My dog has diabetes he’s a Westie/cairn cross, he was diagnosed aged five, he’s now twelve. He’s a very happy dog and we manage it fine as he eats the same food everyday and is injected twice a day. Knows he won’t get fed until he’s injected so he’s ok having it. There has been a few issues getting levels right but now he sees the vet about every 6-12 months.

Camsie - Please feel free to ask any questions or PM me.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in