Liver mass elderly dog

(6 Posts)
moonpeace Thu 07-Mar-19 20:45:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
miranda1511 Thu 07-Mar-19 21:07:19

My view, and I have two oap doggies. I wouldn't put either of my old dears through anything invasive. Pain relief to allow some quality time before the inevitable which could be some way off. The risk of a GA is also something to consider. I guess for me I'd ask myself what would I do with the information from the CT. I definitely wouldn't put an oldie through chemo or an op.

moonpeace Fri 08-Mar-19 09:03:00

Thymeout Fri 08-Mar-19 09:48:43

Tbh, I wouldn't have brought him home from the vet's. It doesn't matter whether the mass is benign or malignant. It's large and it's already making him sick. The painkillers won't make him better. They won't stop the mass getting bigger and making him feel even more rotten. His liver function is already compromised.

I had an elderly cat. When I came back from holiday, I could see immediately that she'd lost a lot of weight and she'd started sleeping in the garden, instead of in the house. I took her to the vet's and he said he could feel that both her kidneys were swollen, probably because of tumours. I didn't want to put her through the stress of another trip to the vet's after taking her home. So we said goodbye there and then.

It was so sad, but better for both of us. With another cat, I was able to arrange for a home visit from the vet, so she was able to leave us peacefully in her own surroundings.

I know it's hard, but in the end it's the last kindness we can do for our beloved pets.

BiteyShark Fri 08-Mar-19 10:44:49

I think I would bring him home with the view that you need to think about the inevitable given that no I wouldn't put an elderly dog through a big operation.

I would spoil him terribly over the next few days but look seriously at his quality of life flowers

moonpeace Fri 08-Mar-19 11:32:58

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in