How long until a trip to the vets for a sore paw?

(3 Posts)
ICantThinkOfANameSorry Tue 19-Feb-19 18:37:26

We have a 8 month old spaniel.

He spends most of his days at work with DP and usually stays in the office but will occasionally be on the workshop floor (when DP is watching or supposed to be!).

He came home yesterday evening with a limp in his front left leg. He is still himself, very playful and jumping up etc.. but it's very obvious that he's in some discomfort with this paw and he holds it up when he's sitting.

I have checked all over the paw, had a torch shining in it, and can't see any splinters or cuts. He lets me wiggle his toes and press where his nails are no problem. I have pressed all down his leg from the shoulder and flexed all joints and he is not bothered in the slightest so I'm fairly confident it isn't a bone related injury.

DP works with a lot of hot metals and DDog did get out of the office accidentally at one point yesterday. DP believes he may have burnt his paw before he noticed and put him back.

I have bathed the paw, put cream on the area I think is causing an issue and placed a sock on so he can't get to it.

I want to take him to the vet if it's not improving by tomorrow whereas DP thinks we should wait, continue to treat it at home and see if it improves over the course of a few days.

I hate the thought of just leaving him in pain and feel like an awful owner!

How long would you wait before a vet visit in these circumstances? My problem is that we don't know it's a burn, we are guessing really.

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Tue 19-Feb-19 18:43:48

I have pressed all down his leg from the shoulder and flexed all joints and he is not bothered in the slightest so I'm fairly confident it isn't a bone related injury.

Dogs have an amazing high pain threshold. Mine has been running about acting like he isn't bothered about anything when he has been very ill or injured. Even last week mine was tearing about when he was limping and bunny hopping with a massive injury.

Personally if it isn't transient, which it doesn't sound like it is, I would take him to the vets.

ICantThinkOfANameSorry Tue 19-Feb-19 18:47:35

Thanks, I think I will make an appointment for tomorrow. If it is something small then it is what it is. I just know id feel incredibly guilty if it was something that I'd made worse by leaving.

I wish they could just tell you where the pain was! It would make things a hell of a lot easier!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in