Cheaper alternative to eden dog food?

(8 Posts)
Justme1981 Sun 17-Feb-19 16:27:44

Hi all

I currently feed my dogs (old terrier mixed breed & beagle 3years) eden dog food, which they love. However, i am now a single mum & am struggling to afford this STBEXH still feeds them eden (we have them half a week each) . Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative i can try for when they are with me?
Thank you

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Sun 17-Feb-19 16:31:44

Use allaboutdogfood.co.uk. You can put in the weight of your dog and it will compare brands, prices and quality. I would then look for similar types/quality scores and see how the 'price' per day compares.

Justme1981 Sun 17-Feb-19 16:44:04

Great thank you, i will take a look

OP’s posts: |
SlothMama Tue 19-Feb-19 10:37:59

Their food shouldn't be swapped over so frequently, it can make them ill. If you change their food your ex also needs to change to the same food.

But a cheaper alternative would be Millies Wolfheart, I had my girl on that before we swapped to Eden. Also have you had a look at the working dog variety of Eden? It's VAT free and you get a large bag and it lasts for ages and the only difference is a slightly higher protein content. Over time it does work out cheaper than buying the smaller bags

missbattenburg Tue 19-Feb-19 11:22:55

Their food shouldn't be swapped over so frequently, it can make them ill. If you change their food your ex also needs to change to the same food.

I would (respectfully) disagree with this. Some dogs do not tolerate switching food regularly but...

a) some dogs do. In fact rotating foods frequently can have a number of benefits, including reducing the chances of allergies developing. Dogs with sensitive digestion may not be happy switching regularly and dogs who have been kept on the same food for extended periods of time may need to slowly be switched over to prevent upset. Dogs regularly fed a variety of foods will be used to it and be fine. Dogs are the descendents of scavengers who will have had little control over what they ate - thus have a digestive system capable of handling quite a wide range of food, for a carnivore.

b) using the same two foods - one at one home and one at another - regularly would still allow the dog to 'get used' to both foods at once. If the dog has a sensitive stomach he may struggle but an otherwise healthy dog should cope with 2 food types being used every 3.5 days.

Millies is a great suggestion. It's the 'cheapest' of the really good foods, imo.

Big bags carry the risk of being open for too long, depending on how quickly the dog gets through them - after about 6 weeks the nutritional value of an open bag starts to decline, due to the oxidation process. You can reduce this by keeping it in a light and air proof container.

BiteyShark Tue 19-Feb-19 11:50:15

Their food shouldn't be swapped over so frequently, it can make them ill

I think this depends on the dog and whether they have perhaps only ever been fed on thing all the time. Despite my dog having inflammatory bowel disease he is fine swooping good quality wet foods about everyday. His stomach condition doesn't appear to be caused by different foods. Maybe that's because the brands I feed all tend to be over 70% meat and the rest vegetables. I usually feed 2-3 different brands and up to 3 different flavours in each brand so he gets a new one each day.

adaline Thu 21-Feb-19 16:40:06

I'm afraid I don't agree with this - it really depends on the dog. Mine gets bored of the same brand so we have 3-4 that we switch between regularly to make sure he eats his meals. They're all grain-free and high in meat content though so maybe that makes a difference? He's never had an issue with it and his poos are always healthy.

Advertisement

StrongTea Thu 21-Feb-19 16:47:08

Use millies wolfheart or simpsons. Millies do one at around £30 for big sack. Think it is the forerunner version.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in