Please talk me out of this!

(3 Posts)
pineapplebryanbrown Sat 09-Feb-19 01:20:09

Thanks 70 wise words, sometimes I get dog broody. I won't contact the rescue, he just tugged on my jrt heart strings.

Used as bait, he was in a dreadful state and they've patched him up and he's still a jolly thing.

With his needs though if my eldest got grumpy and gruffed at him that would be dreadful for him. Plus, with Dad being not well I'm not as robust as normal emotionally and settling an SN dog into a pack would take work and energy that I may not have.

Yep, I'm not the right home. He's so sweet though!

OP’s posts: |
70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 09-Feb-19 00:45:16

Shall I give it a go?

OK- your Dad is unwell, he is going to be taking up a huge amount of your time and energy , emotionally and physically .

You want your two tried and trusted JRs who won't mind you bawling snot into their fur.

Your older boy might not take to him, there's no saying your younger boy will.

You would need to re jig your holiday , and it would be unsettling for all of them.

And Ex Bait Dog ? Did he catch bait or was he bait in dog fights ? If he was , he'll take a long time to regain trust.

There will be someone who will take him on who will cherish him, if not , he's in a JR rescue , he has company .

If he's still there when you're ready for him, then go for it .

pineapplebryanbrown Fri 08-Feb-19 22:56:37

I have 2 male JRTs who i love dearly, they are 4 and 8 and I've had them since small pups. I've just seen the loveliest male jack on a rescue website.

He's an ex-baiting dog and just seems like a sweet trooper, it says he hates walking without other dogs. I think he might like to join the gang.

On the negative side my Dad is very frail and ill and i have to spend a few hours with him daily. Plus it took my eldest dog quite a long time to adjust to not being an only dog any more. I think he'd struggle although the youngest would be delighted.

And, this one is trivial but it's been an awful year with Dad being ill. I have a holiday booked in May and it's a two dog property.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in