Springer/Spaniel clip

(14 Posts)
doggyhaircuts Fri 08-Feb-19 19:15:25

How does everyone have their springers or spaniels clipped?
We’ve never had a dog that requires grooming before.
I like the springer field cuts where they get clipped short as I think it looks tidy, but a friend today said it’s better to leave them long to protect against twigs and burrs?
She had a mini groom today, but she just had her feathers cut off, ears trimmed and genital area clipped.
She looks much tidier already just with those bits tidied!

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Fri 08-Feb-19 19:18:18

I have a working cocker and we get him clipped short and very short on his legs and paws. This means he can be rinsed and dried really quickly after a muddy walk.

Celebelly Fri 08-Feb-19 19:18:38

We get ours hand stripped. Clipping can change their coat and they lose the nice feathering.

BiteyShark Fri 08-Feb-19 19:21:16

Sorry should have said he used to get more twigs caught in his longer fur than when we have him clipped short. Also makes it easy to groom daily as we keep his ears short so a quick brush each day keeps them mat free.

doggyhaircuts Fri 08-Feb-19 19:30:09

Yeah she’s a working springer. But my friend with working springers has never even trimmed them. Just brushed.
I think I’ll go with the short clip. Just need to get her used to going for a groom first!

doggyhaircuts Fri 08-Feb-19 19:30:54

I do quite like the leg feathers, but she actually looks really smart with them trimmed. Like a proper little working dog!

Flairhead Fri 08-Feb-19 19:31:48

We used to get our springer feathered, but she's too fond of muddy puddles so she's short all over now, except her tail which is still a bit fluffy. Much easier to clean!

Advertisement

BiteyShark Fri 08-Feb-19 19:33:17

There is the argument about it affecting their coat but I am more for practicality over looks and actually find he looks nice short.

The only thing is that everyone still thinks he must be a young puppy given his short coat grin

doggyhaircuts Fri 08-Feb-19 19:46:42

I much prefer practicality over looks!
Also do you all brush in between cuts?
Any brush recommendations?

BiteyShark Fri 08-Feb-19 19:51:33

We go to the groomers every 5-6 weeks but every night I give him a quick brush of his ears and tail. This is because despite having a spaniel feeding bowel he still manages to get food in his ears.

I just picked up a brush from the pet shop which said for medium length fur.

SpanielEars070 Fri 08-Feb-19 19:51:48

I brush my working cocker daily with a bristle brush to get rid of mud and skin debris, then I use a Marrs coat king (spaniel blade) around once a month to go through and get his undercoat out. I then trim his feathers and feet with a pair of scissors.

Never had him groomed, he's so used to me doing it he lies on the towel and just enjoys it.

doggyhaircuts Fri 08-Feb-19 20:25:09

Yep the coat king is what I’ve been looking at.
Are they the ones with numbers?
If you don’t mind answering all of my questions can you let me know which number you have please? I was going to buy a 20.

missbattenburg Fri 08-Feb-19 20:30:22

Battendog the springer gets trimmed (not clipped).

He has his ears trimmed so they are short(ish) all over as this really prevents knots.

His feathers are kept relatively short and especially so all around his boy bits.

He gets brushed 2/3 times a week and groomed every 6-8 weeks.

The coat king is good for keeping fur thinned out but be careful - it cuts the hair as well as rakes it so you can go too far... (I have 20). Mostly I find a good pin brush is better.

SpanielEars070 Fri 08-Feb-19 21:36:46

Yes mine is a Mars 20 blade. It's ever so simple to use, and I found you can go a bit mad with it.... I do a small amount, then do it again a few days later if it needs it. I usually get about half a carrier bag of hair out! It's made my boys coat really glossy and shiny and he scratches a lot less.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in