Dog friendly flooring

(9 Posts)
palacegirl77 Mon 04-Feb-19 17:07:29

Hi
Apologise if this isnt the right place for this as not sure if its a house question or a dog one (so prob post in both!)
We bought a house last year. We need to put new flooring down in the lounge, dining room and hall. As an interim measure we sanded the floorboards and stained them - our lovely labrador has scratched them to bits with his claws just running around (or mainly to the door!) - I was interested in vinyl flooring as it says this is dog proof, but have read mixed reviews on carndean etc. Laminate we had in our last house was horrible to look at as obviously cheap, but to be fare he never marked it! Can only see the only flooring as being carpet but then if he is sick on it thats not ideal (plus we have 2 children so want something easy to clean)..Any ideas of what to go for/what to avoid? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Brigante9 Mon 04-Feb-19 18:49:40

When we moved in, there was cream carpet everywhere-they had a Westie!

We tiled the lounge and hall, slightly grippy tiles so the dogs can’t slip. We also put in underfloor heating in the lounge. I’m currently looking at kitchen flooring cos the laminate has lifted. It has lasted well.

HaveYouNameChangedForThis Mon 04-Feb-19 19:54:22

Would you really want to change your lovely wooden flooring for vinyl/laminate though? Having said that, we have a laminate floor that looks like fairly realistic wooden flooring planks, with a grain in and slightly textured (not shiny).

Our 2 dogs run riot on it and it shows nary a scratch after 3 years. One's a Labrador too - they are heavy on their feet, aren't they! grin I don't know what the brand name is, but basically it is scratch proof and that's from kids/wear and tear as well as the dogs.

fivedogstofeed Mon 04-Feb-19 20:16:16

We had wooden floors re-sanded but they still got trashed by our four dogs ( and constant stream of foster dogs). A year ago we covered up all our crappy wood with Amtico and have to say it's been amazing and seems to be totally dog proof.

wheelwarrior Mon 04-Feb-19 21:38:14

I have heavy duty lino and a lab last lot down for 6 years and being honest was my powerchair that trashed if (foot plate ripped it ) Otherwise was finw

CMOTDibbler Mon 04-Feb-19 21:42:31

We have wood effect Karndean and it is fantastic. No dog scratches in the 10 years its been down, and so easy to clean and keep nice. No clattering noise like we had with engineered wood either

palacegirl77 Tue 05-Feb-19 09:14:15

Thanks for that, really good to know we have options! If we didnt have the dog the floors would be great as they are as we are lucky to have nice floorboards which when polished look lovely. But we do have him and dont think I could live without a dog so dog proof floor it has to be :-) Thanks for the tips

OP’s posts: |

Advertisement

Inforthelonghaul Tue 05-Feb-19 09:23:22

We had wood effect karndean and it has been brilliant with dogs and kids. I would just say though that our beautiful dog had a lot of problems with her legs when she go older and found the karndean difficult to walk on she would slip a lot which was horrible. In the end we had to have a lot of rugs all over the place so she could get about safely. That said it was very hard wearing and survived claws, food and other unpleasant issues with no problem.

GrouchyKiwi Tue 05-Feb-19 11:21:43

We have vinyl (I don't think it's Karndean) and our puppy's claws have ripped tiny little cuts in it all over the place. It's a new build so it's probably really cheap vinyl, mind you.

I'm not sure what I want to replace it with. I like the idea of slightly grippy tiles but aren't they cold?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in