My dog suddenly hates me

(13 Posts)
Carolcool Wed 23-Jan-19 16:23:20

Lovely affectionate terrier/ cavachon cross, 2.5 years old, neutered female. We've had her from 8 weeks old and she's a delight.

About 2 weeks ago she suddenly started to cower from me, not always greet me, look anxious around me, hide behind a chair or under the table even!

All I can link it to is my 11mo dd dropped a full sippy cup onto the dog a couple of weeks ago, and the dog seemed to think it was me.

I doubt it's new baby stress as baby is almost a year old.

Any ideas or advice appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
JesusInTheCabbageVan Wed 23-Jan-19 21:02:45

Could it be that you smell different? New perfume, deodorant, anything like that?

Jackyjill6 Wed 23-Jan-19 22:04:05

Could she be unwell/injured? My cat started to behave very differently, didn't want to be touched and would run off to avoid contact. It turned out to have a nasty abscess.

TheCounter Fri 25-Jan-19 18:40:51

Only you can figure that one out tbh.

Could be they're particularly sensitive to your interactions..e.g how you respond if they do something wrong.

I had to alter my responses when my old girl died and I got a new puppy that was far more sensitive.

If I so much as looked at her the wrong way she'd disappear up to her bed.
A little bit more attention and reassurance where possible will bring them round in my experience.
Must be genuine tho. Dogs have an uncanny ability to sense your true emotions, regardless of how big a smile you paint on your face or how soft you make your voice.

startingafresh1 Sat 26-Jan-19 09:21:36

It could be the sippy cup incident. Dogs can and do draw simple conclusions from events. I splashed a big dollop of water from a watering can on my dog when he was a puppy and he took a while to forgive me and still gives the watering can a very wide berth.

Ideally don't force yourself on ddog whilst she is signalling that she's afraid of you. Take it slowly. Interact however she is comfortable.

Use whatever motivates her (food/ toys/ balls) to interact with her and build up her confidence.

Carolcool Sun 27-Jan-19 09:24:03

Thanks all. Don't think it's me smelling different of her being ill.

She will sit on my legs on the sofa if no one else is on offer, and still loves walks with me so I'll keep going and not pester her for a while.

startingafresh1 Sun 27-Jan-19 14:36:14

Good plan OP. Keep us posted if you are happy to.

Advertisement

missmouse101 Sun 27-Jan-19 14:46:07

Op, are you certain your partner hasn't been shouting at or punishing the dog? sad It may feel as if it is just you, but the dog may have developed a bad association with any adult if this has been happening?

pigsDOfly Sun 27-Jan-19 18:36:15

If it continues it might be an idea to let the vet have a look at her in case she's suffering from some sort of intermittent pain.

Dogs are very good at not being too obvious when they not well sometimes.

My dog had a condition that needed treatment, it took me quite some time to realise she was unwell as she seemed fine most of the time.

justasking111 Sun 27-Jan-19 18:38:30

I would get her checked out at the vet. Something neurological could be going on.

Carolcool Sun 03-Feb-19 21:35:28

She's now coming back around to me gradually. She's been a bit more pleased to see me and waggy. Still no idea what's it's been about.
This pretty much sums it up... just now she's been on the sofa with me and DP... her back end and back legs on me and front legs, paws on him and face gazing adoringly at him. 🙄 At least it's improving!

startingafresh1 Tue 05-Feb-19 11:00:07

At least things seem to be moving in the right direction OP. I hope it continues. Maybe consider vet if not.....

It is not unusual for dogs to have a 'favourite'. In our house it tends to be whoever offers the best rewards for obedience!

Carolcool Sun 17-Feb-19 17:05:14

Update (because I do like a thread with a conclusion).. she just miraculously loves me again! Dances about to greet me, licks me, desperate to sit on me. All back to normal. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in