Puppy waking time

(11 Posts)
Pringle89 Wed 23-Jan-19 06:22:01

I just wondered what time everyone’s adult dogs wake up in the morning?

Our 16 week old puppy sleeps from half ten, but wakes up for the day anytime between 5-6 😴, I’m hoping adult dogs learn to sleep/hold their bladder a bit longer - 5am starts are killing me 😭

Good job puppies are cute!

OP’s posts: |
totallyliterally Wed 23-Jan-19 06:30:06

At nearly 2 years we've just got to 6am with ours. Tried everything over the time we've had her. But it's just taken that long!

Sorry not helpful!

Pringle89 Wed 23-Jan-19 06:33:19

Thanks @totallyliterally I can cope with 6, everything before that just seems like nighttime 😂

Mulberryandthyme Wed 23-Jan-19 06:51:03

I think it can depend on the breed too. We've had dogs in the past that got us up at the crack of dawn for a wee and breakfast, and others who slept until we got up then leisurely wandered outside in their own time.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 23-Jan-19 06:52:32

At 2 years old, left to his own devices I've known mine not wake until 11.30am hmm I'm fairly certain he's 50% bladder as he never has accidents.

PeachesPlumsPears Wed 23-Jan-19 06:54:49

My two (9 and 7yrs) go to bed around 8pm but wake up 5am EVERY morning. They will bark loudly to let everybody know that they are awake. I've tried ignoring them but they keep barking until I get up and take them for a walk.

BiteyShark Wed 23-Jan-19 06:58:03

My 2 year old varies and will often wake early around 5am but we get up for work soon afterwards so I think he is just keen. At the weekends we sometimes make it to 6am. Fortunately after being let out for a pee he goes back to bed for a bit longer.

Advertisement

adaline Wed 23-Jan-19 08:30:37

Mine is 11 months and sleeps until about 8am given the chance, though unfortunately for him we're up for work at 7!

Weekends and days off he'll sleep until 8 or later though.

missbattenburg Wed 23-Jan-19 10:45:18

I used an alarm clock.

I set the time and point blank refused to even move in my bed until the alarm went off. As soon as it did, I started the day. I set it early and slowly snuck it back 5 mins or so at a time until it went from 6am to about 8am. I still use it now.

It was on my phone so I was able to sneakily move it back and forth, if I woke and wanted to get up earlier or wanted to stay snuggled a bit longer.

It served as a great indication to the dog that:
no alarm = no fun
alarm = time to start the day

missbattenburg Wed 23-Jan-19 10:46:03

I've tried ignoring them but they keep barking until I get up and take them for a walk.

They've got you well trained then grin

Pringle89 Wed 23-Jan-19 13:15:07

Thanks for all your replies, Think I need to get used to early mornings then!

I can’t leave him to bark as one I know he needs the toilet and 16 weeks is pretty good to hold all night, also he wakes my kids up and then we are all tired and grumpy!

Weirdly when my DH offers to do the early morning the dog always sleeps later, he says he promises to give him steak if he sleeps later 🤣

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in