Anxious dog after being attacked - advice please

(5 Posts)
Espress0Patronum Fri 18-Jan-19 12:25:26

I was out walking my two year old dog on the lead 2 nights ago, when two Jack Russells attacked her (lunging, snapping, growling, bearing their teeth, circling her). I had to pick her (I know they say you shouldn't do that), as the owner was doing nothing to help (apparently her dogs are not aggressive hmm).

This is the first time something like this has happened, and she normally loves other dogs.
Anyways, since this, she hasn't been herself at all. She isn't injured, I've checked her over (luckily she has very thick fluffy fur, so they had just bitten at that) and does not seem to be in pain, but she's very grumpy, seems incredibly anxious of any movement, loud noises, other dogs etc.

Basically she just looks very sorry for herself , though she might be doing this to get sympathy cheese grin.

Anyone know if there is anything I can do to help her??

OP’s posts: |
nellieellie Fri 18-Jan-19 13:14:31

Maybe don’t walk her for a few days. Her cortisol levels will be up which means she will “over react” to any situation of potential stress. Maybe just do stuff at home, playing, lots of treats and maybe trick training. Hopefully this will get her confidence back. First time out then lots of treats when she sees a dog, but if she is still wary, keep her at a safe distance.

LizzieSiddal Fri 18-Jan-19 13:18:55

My little Jack Russell was attacked by a Labrador. It took her months to get over it, she would just shake as we approached the lane where it happened so we had to walk a different way around the village so she didn’t pass where it.

I’d just take things very slowly. Lots of praise on walks and I also used to give mine lots of treats along the way, to encourage her to think of something else.

Aprilshowersarecomingsoon Fri 18-Jan-19 13:19:54

Do you know any nice ddogs she can meet up with? Boost her confidence a bit. Did you report the incident?
Take photos if it happens again and report to the local council. If they have regular reports they may come to something.

Espress0Patronum Fri 18-Jan-19 14:43:38

Thanks for all your advice. I think you're right about skipping walks at least for today, she does seem very on edge which would make sense if her cortisol levels are up.

I didn't report the incident as she had no injuries, so wasn't sure if it was worth reporting or they would do anything about it.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in