Talk

Advanced search

First season?

(5 Posts)
NotTheChef Sun 13-Jan-19 14:02:41

This morning there was dried blood on the bed sheets so I'm guessing she has come into season?

7mo springer has been a bit humpy and my other dog has been sniffing her more recently so I kind of expected it.

Anything can do to help her?
Also is it no walks or just walks on lead? and for how long?

OP’s posts: |
Tutlefru Sun 13-Jan-19 14:11:26

Some people say no walks but I think that’s a little harsh.

We walk on lead but not typical times. So very early morning or very late at night.

We also got her more kongs and toys to try and occupy her.

katmunchkin Mon 14-Jan-19 10:31:26

Our 9 month old GSP is currently in her first season and is feeling very sorry for herself! We're still walking her, but is on an extendable lead and we're not allowing new dog introductions (i.e. sniffing etc - just keep walking past). We're also trying to walk in quieter places as I appreciate it might not be "fair" to male dogs we come across if she is so irresistible. The research I did said that it would last around 3 weeks, and it's weeks 2-3 where she becomes more attractive to other dogs, and I would definitely say this is accurate based on how it's gone so far.

Doggydoggydoggy Mon 14-Jan-19 10:36:23

I never walked mine in season.

It’s only harsh if you are lucky enough never to come into contact with entire males.

Entire males vary in their sex drive but generally, they will race across roads, ignore recall even if previously 100%, pester females relentlessly, they will hop on leashed females - the lead will not stop them, potentially get aggressive if you try to get rid of them...

Tutlefru Mon 14-Jan-19 11:09:42

We must be lucky then.

Look out for what times people are walking OP.

And avoid popular dog walking routes.

You can also get things that disguise the smell of the bitch though I can’t vouch for those as I’ve not used them.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in