Homemade dog food

(5 Posts)
Hanspannerly Fri 11-Jan-19 07:29:24

Does anyone have any recommendations for books or websites or forums for making your own dog food? My cockerpoo is a fairly fussy eater and has been having Butternut box but I think as I have the time I can probably make similar but more varied and for cheaper! I think I’ve got a handle on the main components but not too sure on things like vitamins and minerals. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
missbattenburg Mon 14-Jan-19 09:26:18

I have the Lily's Kitchen book which is great for treats and basic info. I also have "Feed Your Best fried" Rock Woodford and "The Dog Diet" Kate Bendix which go into much more detail about balancing nutrients for daily feeding.

I have occasionally made up food for Battendog and, tbh, with the help of a good supplement and a grasp of balancing proteins, fats, carbs etc it seems fairly simple.

You could always spend a few months doing 75% commercial and 25% home cooked (for e.g.) while you get your research right.

FairfaxAikman Mon 14-Jan-19 09:56:11

Raw feeding in a nutshell

missbattenburg Mon 14-Jan-19 10:00:18

Ah. I thought OP was going to cook food for her dog.

My bad.

FairfaxAikman Mon 14-Jan-19 10:02:18

Maybe she is, but to be honest IIRC there's not a huge benefit in cooking it first but I think the amounts would remain the same whether cooked or raw.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in