HELP dog started barking in the night!!

(6 Posts)
linzid83 Sun 06-Jan-19 12:40:13

Just after some advice/tips please. We have an 11 year old bedlington terrier who's been absolutely fine until about 4 weeks ago.
What it is he has started barking in the night to go out, anytime between 2-5am, sometimes twice. It's really starting to drive me crazy! I'm 7 and half months pregnant and having trouble sleeping at night as it! Once I'm awake I can't get back to sleep.

Oh takes out on a 30 min walk about 8pm every night he is also let out 2-3 times before we go to bed which is around 11pm.
I really don't think he is desperate to go out, we have never had this problem before!
I told oh I think he should take him to the vets to check his health. Maybe is old age!!

Does anyone have any tips/advice to get him out of this habit. Really want it sorting before baby comes

OP’s posts: |
AvocadosBeforeMortgages Sun 06-Jan-19 12:44:16

Has anything else changed e.g. Might there be something outside causing the barking? How is his hearing? Alternatively, it might be that his bladder is getting weaker, like many old people I know.

I'd be taking DDog to the vet for a health check. There might be an element of cognitive dysfunction, or something that can be done to help with possible bladder weakness.

thefirstmrsdewinter Sun 06-Jan-19 12:48:16

Take him to the vet. Barking in an older dog can be a sign of hearing loss or cognitive dysfunction.

linzid83 Sun 06-Jan-19 13:28:31

Thank you for your replies. I think his hearing is going a little. He's always been a pretty ignorant dog but now most of the time he completely ignores you when calling him in.

I don't think it's anything outside disturbing him. Some nights before bed he's constantly say at the door moaning to go out and once out just sniffs around.
No nothings changed.
Def going to get oh to take him to the vets!

werideatdawn Sun 06-Jan-19 16:34:26

My dads dog started barking at night time when she turned 10. Not really proper barking just weird yipping! She had a UTI and that cleared up in about 2 nights with antibiotics.

linzid83 Sun 06-Jan-19 17:07:29

@werideatdawn that's what he's like. He starts making a whimpering noise and if he doesn't get then attention of us from that he turns it into a proper bark and cry! So annoying I'm the early hours. Def a trip to the vets this week

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in