How to prepare for Labrador puppy

(13 Posts)
Lolacabanaa Mon 24-Dec-18 13:30:08

Bridget will be joining us on the 5th January and we’re all so excited but want to make sure we’re ready for arrival. I have some questions for all you experienced dog owners
Puppy pads for training- yes or no?
Stairgate?
And do you recommend crating, I hate the idea but DH thinks it’s a good one so would like to hear about your experiences

OP’s posts: |
Womble75 Mon 24-Dec-18 13:36:26

Bless! I only put down puppy pads at night for our lab.
Also didn't crate him- I don't like it. He has the run of the kitchen at night with a stair gate, his bed is there so he has his space. Perfectly happy.
Be prepared for the biting when teething - plenty of ice cubes.
She's adorable x

Celebelly Mon 24-Dec-18 13:36:27

Ah, she's a cutey!

We never bothered with puppy pads. I think they can sometimes cause more confusion than not. We were just outside every 15 mins or so whenever possible with a huge fuss whenever she peed or pood outside. I mean dancing about the garden with her and lavishing her with praise and attention! There will be a lot of puddles in this early days but it doesn't last forever! Just watch where you step!

We had a crate and intended to use it but she didn't take it to it very well and in the end settled very well in a puppy-safe room downstairs. They can be useful but aren't mandatory. If you do use the crate, make sure to build up very slowly - don't just put her in and close the door. Have it around with the door open so she can come and go, and fill it with cosy bedding, a nice toy, etc. so she chooses to go in there. For the first few nights, you'll probably have her in her room or someone will sleep on the sofa next to her.

Our girl didn't even attempt the stairs for a good few weeks. Stairgates are useful though if you don't want her having free rein!

Whoseranium Mon 24-Dec-18 13:39:06

Join this FB group and have a read through all the articles/guides in their Congratulations on Your New Puppy collection.

There are some threads here in the Doghouse which have got lots of useful information on as well, particularly this one and this thread running currently.

Normalnorman Mon 24-Dec-18 13:47:13

Read up and research the breed and get as much breed specific training info and guidance / advice.

The puppy pads are a personal preference I guess but if you have carpet and don't want to be on guard waiting to catch a puppy sprinkle which happens a lot for a while it's sometimes wise to get puppies in the habit of going to a particular spot when they're caught short.

Crate training is something I recommend it helps give puppies a place of security, safety, their own private quiet spot for sleeping and general rest and when you're not in the house or during the night it is safer to have puppies safe and secure rather than roaming and free to chew and eat whatever is around.

Labs are very food driven and can chew, eat and swallow whatever they find and pick up.

They are however great dogs and make fantastic family pets and companions.

Enjoy!

UrsulaPandress Mon 24-Dec-18 13:50:30

We had a cage for our springer. He was happy to go in and often chose to go in during the day for a snooze. It meant I knew he wasn’t chewing anything when left alone. Apart from his bed in his crate obviously. We got through several.

gemmiebaby Mon 24-Dec-18 13:52:40

We didn't use puppy pads...just outside every 20 minutes or so! It worked quite quickly though, in our case. Doesn't for everyone.

We also had a crate. It wasn't to 'lock him in' but for a safe space. We have twin boys, and felt the dog needed somewhere where they couldnt get to him! Ours liked it, and used it until he was at least 18months. We do have a stair gate, for keeping him in the kitchen/dining room. It's shut at night and when we go out.

We did, however, stop him from going upstairs. I didn't want him on our beds, mainly because I wanted somewhere that was relatively hair free and because I wanted the boys to have somewhere that the dog couldn't go (He has a love of teddies!)

He's 3 1/2 now and, while he is a huge commitment, he is a big part of our family. Have fun! Xx

Advertisement

BiteyShark Mon 24-Dec-18 13:57:44

I didn't use puppy pads as I never wanted my dog to think it was ok to toilet inside.

I have stairgates and still do at 2 years old as they are a great way to keep him safe if the doors are open and as a puppy they helped with the separation training as he could still see me but I wasn't right there with him.

I used a crate but mine was the largest I could find because I just wanted it to be an area where I knew he was safe.

Normalnorman Mon 24-Dec-18 14:01:32

I didn't use puppy pads as I never wanted my dog to think it was ok to toilet inside

If you don't mind me asking what did you do when he did inevitably pee inside the house? confused

Normalnorman Mon 24-Dec-18 14:02:49

Actually forget I asked. Have stuff to do and veg to prep so will come back and check in again later smile

BiteyShark Mon 24-Dec-18 14:05:30

Normalnorman I mopped it up and if I spotted him mid pee I would run outside with him. At night I got up to make sure he had toilet trips at night when young so he never peed or pooed in his crate.

With pads I feel you are targeting an area inside the house that they think is ok to toilet on.

Some people like puppy pads but as mentioned I never wanted him to think there was an area that was ok to toilet on inside. Especially as I have hard floors with rugs and mats and a puppy pad on my floor is just another mat.

BrokenWing Mon 24-Dec-18 14:11:37

A crate is a good idea, we needed one for our lab until he was 18 months to keep him safe at night, otherwise he would wander and chew (shoes, sofas, carpets, skirting boards, kitchen doors the lot!). He was very happy sleeping in the crate which had a blanket over it and would take himself to it during the day for naps.

We didn't use puppy pads either, took him outside regularly and praised/treated and if he did go indoors cleaned up (with proper dog cleaner to get rid of the smell and discourage repeating on the same spot) without comment. You need to watch them constantly in the early days for cues they want to go, we didn't get him until 12 weeks and was pretty much trained before and only took a week or so to settle into the routine at ours.

BiteyShark Mon 24-Dec-18 14:13:52

I should also say I only used the crate until my dog was 1 year old after which he was mature enough that I felt he wouldn't destroy and eat anything he shouldn't.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in