hybrid puppy types B - backbred wtf???

(6 Posts)
MattMagnolia Tue 11-Dec-18 19:17:54

Incestuous breeding in humans or dogs or any other animal only gives unhealthy offspring if the parents carry inherited disease.
The problems escalate if close relatives (like human cousins) interbreed repeatedly for many generations.

DogInATent Mon 10-Dec-18 15:24:27

Close genetic backcrossing is a tool used when trying to breed stable traits into a line (not just with dogs). It's not something that should be done lightly and needs experience and knowledge of genetics.

A cockerpoo is an hybrid breed, but there are breeders trying to establish an equivalent breed that will breed true.

Branleuse Mon 10-Dec-18 12:37:01

ahhh thats really good to know, phew, some of the language was confusing me a bit. It does look like some breeders do do this though. Surely that cant result in a healthy pup?
Im glad its not what the term means though

OP’s posts: |
AvocadosBeforeMortgages Mon 10-Dec-18 10:04:10

Backbreeding means breeding back to the original breed, so for a cockapoo

F1 is cocker x poodle

F1B would mean cockerpoo x poodle or cockerpoo x cocker (so 75% of one, 25% the other).

F2 is the offspring of two F1 cockerpoo parents

F2B would be the offspring of 2 cockerpoo parents mated to a pure cocker or poodle

tabulahrasa Mon 10-Dec-18 09:59:20

It doesn’t mean that, i mean I think most breeders of crosses are disgusting - but for other reasons...

It means to the original breed, so labradoodle crossed with poodle for eg.

Branleuse Mon 10-Dec-18 09:52:59

Does this actually mean what I think it means? Incest breeding?

I was googling puppies online. I am not seriously planning on getting one, but i do seem to be googling them a lot.
Was reading about cockerpoos and then wondered what all the F1, F2, F2b meant, and im really shocked that breeders are basically mating fathers to daughters etc, brothers to sisters.
I find this actually repellent. Am I mistaken, or are breeders just disgusting

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in