New puppy advice

(8 Posts)
sparkle789 Fri 07-Dec-18 14:15:41

We are collecting our Labrador puppy tomorrow, I’m getting nervous.
Can I have some advice on the first few days. I’ve read a lab book but it suddenly feels a bit overwhelming.

OP’s posts: |
LittleLongDog Fri 07-Dec-18 14:42:59

Come and join us on the puppy support thread Sparkle. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_doghouse/3443583-Puppy-support

I’m picking up my dachshund pup later today. I absolutely definitely have had ‘the fear’ building for a few days. But I’m taking that as a good sign that I’m aware I’m undertaking a huge responsibility and by going into it without considering the negatives.

Labs are just absolutely a fantastic breed! What a lovely choice.

cowfacemonkey Fri 07-Dec-18 22:40:10

You'll probably be in tears by day 3 and googling puppy depression by week 2 but I promise it gets easier!

TickleMyPickle Sat 08-Dec-18 09:16:52

How exciting! We got our fox red lab pup 3 months ago when he was 9 weeks old.
I slept downstairs with him for the first 3 nights while he got used to the house and his crate. After 3 nights he slept through and didn’t even need a wee during the night, he has the bladder of a camel.
Watch out for him trying to eat his own poo, ours did that for a week or so, grossed DH and the kids out!
I totally underestimated how hard it would all be, I regretted getting him for around a fortnight and then it all started to get easier.
He’s now such a wonderful addition to or family, wouldn’t change him for the world.
Please share a photo once he’s settled in

sparkle789 Sat 08-Dec-18 22:18:46

How is your pup settling in LittleLongDog?

Well day one has been ok, 2 wees and a poo inside. But he seems to be settling in ok. He hasn’t eaten much though.

I’m dreading puppy regret but good to know it will he short lived!

sparkle789 Sat 08-Dec-18 22:19:33

Tickle he is gorgeous.

HolyMerlot Sat 08-Dec-18 22:36:48

We are on day 18 with our Miniature Dachshund pup. I definitely had the fear in the days leading up to it and slept downstairs for the first two nights and then laid awake for 70% of the third night while he cried his heart out downstairs but he slept through on the fourth night and I felt like a new woman after three consecutive nights of about 2 hours sleep!

His toilet training is coming on OK but still quite a few accidents inside, but to be fair I keep forgetting we've only had him for just over a fortnight. My advice (which I have to keep telling myself) is to not expect too much of the pup too soon - while it may feel like you've never been without him even though it's been a matter of days, I have to remind myself how short a time it has actually been.

There are peaks and troughs of him sleeping for hours vs. being a hyper loon but I think we will see such a difference in him once he is fully vaccinated and can go for walks - I bet this will be even more so with a lovely Lab!

Advertisement

HolyMerlot Sat 08-Dec-18 22:38:39

Meant to say, our pup didn't each much, drink much or toilet much for the first 24-36 hours or so and while a part of me was definitely a little worried at the time, I realise now that it was just the change of environment etc so don't worry about that smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in