Travel sickness

(8 Posts)
Bunnybigears Sat 01-Dec-18 08:31:16

Ddog is travel sick in a completely hit and miss kind of a fashion. We can do a 5 minute journey and he throws up, an hour long journey and he is fine or vice versa. It doesnt matter about length of time after eating or anything like that there is literally no pattern. Sometimes he is sick sometimes he isnt. We are doing a 2 hr journey at Christmas (we will stop for a quick walk in the middle) and could really do without him being sivk as the car will ne full or kids and presents and things. He travels in between the kids on the backseat. I've read that dogs can have human travel.sickness tablets but which ones and what dosage? Does anyone know?

OP’s posts: |
Pigletpoglet Sat 01-Dec-18 08:32:07

Not sure about travel sickness tablets, but ginger biscuits sometimes help!

fivedogstofeed Sat 01-Dec-18 08:36:43

I've had a lot of success using Adaptil collars for car sickness. They're fairly expensive, and I was sceptical but they have worked, both on puppied and older dogs.

hairypaws Sat 01-Dec-18 08:54:34

Thunder coat worked for my girl. She was really bad and I always needed to use travel sickness tablets which were a pain to get over. The thunder coat calms her down loads and she's absolutely fine in the car now. No clue how it works for travel but it does. Have a look on their website and I'm sure it will explain all.

Waveymaevey Sat 01-Dec-18 09:01:17

You can get licensed and tested tablets from your vet called cerenia for travel sickness in pets.

ForTheLoveOfDoughnuts Sat 01-Dec-18 09:02:18

I used to have a dog who was always travel sick. Ginger biscuits before I journey (can't remember how long before - 15mins?) worked every time.

He was a dachshund and gavin him 1 biscuit.

MarleyMooChick Sat 01-Dec-18 11:20:29

Mine used to be sick on every journey. I had her in a harness clipped into the seat belt on back seat. A couple of month ago we were all visiting family an hour away. Dog sat in between kids on back seat, no harness on & no sickness at all. So bought a barrier so she can't get in the front, & she just sits on back seat with no problem. Two weeks ago just decided to put harness on & seat belt clip & she was sick! So no more harness in car!

Advertisement

Vallahalagonebutnotforgotten Sat 01-Dec-18 13:07:27

Excellent medication from the vets called Cerenia expensive but works very well for many dogs.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in