Dog eating Christmas lights

(13 Posts)
AmIAWeed Wed 28-Nov-18 16:00:22

Someone talk some sense in me because i'm grumpy and pretty bloody upset.
We have a 8 month old puppy who is a nightmare. This weekend I planted multiple trees, she's dug up half.
She digs holes, I fill, cover - she moves elsewhere and digs
I put Christmas lights around trees yesterday she ate through them whilst I went inside to get gloves
Today I discover another set has been eaten - she's never out for more than 5 minutes herself.
Despite being a puppy she has an issue with her hips so can't be walked lots so we play games instead, i'm with her all day - so she isn't on her own to get bored

WHY???
Why must she destroy everything?
Our other dog, only just turned 18 months - is no where near as destructive. If you've ever had a destructive puppy - when did they grow out of it?
Please tell me this is a phase??

OP’s posts: |
Wolfiefan Wed 28-Nov-18 16:02:49

You can’t leave this dog unattended unless it’s in a safe space.
Do you do training? To tire pup out.
Can the hip issue be improved? Dog sounds frustrated.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 28-Nov-18 16:05:07

Forgive me if this is obvious

Does she have fuck tons of toys? Kongs stuffed with frozen fillings to gnaw on? Loads of games to play for stimulation?

When mine was a puppy she had all these lever toys to get food out, massive chews (the yak milk one).

Are her hips going to get better so she can be walked properly?

Nesssie Wed 28-Nov-18 16:17:25

Yeah shes a puppy, its what they do! The only way for them to explore and learn is by chewing.

She likes digging? Give her a sand pit to play with.
She likes chewing? Lots of toys, bones, frozen stuffed kongs.

On a lead and supervised when in garden, the minute she starts digging/chewing redirect her energy somewhere else.

Yes she will grow out of it, but you need to teach her what is the correct behaviour. Rather than telling her what not to do ('no, dont dig!', 'hey, leave those lights alone') praise her when she gets it right.

Bananabus Wed 28-Nov-18 16:24:57

I have a digger - I put in a sandpit and it really worked.

AmIAWeed Wed 28-Nov-18 16:34:55

Hip issue is being worked on with hydrotherapy to build muscle and support the hip.
We have a couple of gardens which are separated now due to an aggressive dog next door so the part she is in is safe and secure. Training is limited due to her hip but we focus on recall, basic commands - essentially everything we did at training without lots of walking.
Lots of toys - every day I collect toys and pop them back in the toy box which they proceed to pull out, take out and put all over. The best game for them is to take crocodile to the door, one runs out with it - the other chases - this is limited due to the hips so we don't have her running around too much.
Sand pit might be an idea though - with toys in it to find.

It's just so frustrating you do as much as you can, turn your back and she's eaten something else

Flippetydip Wed 28-Nov-18 16:35:38

In all honesty I suspect it's the spirit of Christmas coming in puppy form to tell you it is WAY too early for Christmas lights.

(Seriously, good luck - puppies are hard work so I gather).

Advertisement

PlateOfBiscuits Wed 28-Nov-18 16:38:15

This year’s going to have to be a year without lights I think!

AmIAWeed Wed 28-Nov-18 16:38:49

HAHA Flippetydip
I hear that A LOT! However, in my s-elf defence it's just the outside, we start putting decs up 2 weeks ago but turning on only happens 1st December. Yes we have lots of lights but we're fast becoming that 'destination' house that people come to see

Chocolatebourbons Wed 28-Nov-18 16:41:49

Labrador by any chance? If so she will grow out of the destructive stage. Ours was a destructive chewy monster until about 8 months old once all her adult teeth had come through. Highly recommend stuffed Kong toys and even ice cubes. And lots of exercise!

AmIAWeed Wed 28-Nov-18 16:54:11

German Shepherd chocolate - 8 months is a killer of an age, many a time I'll call her, she'll look at me and carry on as she is....much like my own teenagers!

adaline Wed 28-Nov-18 17:15:13

Mine would be destructive if left - so he's never left alone unless he's crates. Ever.

He's allowed unattended in the garden because there's nothing dangerous there that he can destroy, but otherwise he needs constant supervision - he's 10 months old.

The only things he's chewed since we got him are the corners of a couple
of cushions, a charger and the ears of a teddy bear. Yes, it means almost constant vigilance and buying loads of chews and toys but it's saved our house and sanity!

DeadCertain Thu 29-Nov-18 19:14:59

Scentwork might tire her nicely.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in