"non toy" toys

(3 Posts)
giordano Sun 25-Nov-18 11:25:31

My GSD is a spoilt brat. Apart from one blue ball, he loses interest in new toys with 2 minutes of receiving them. He literally has hundreds of toys that he never plays with even if we do the rotation thing (the ultimate plan is to donate them/give them away but it's a big task). It took us all a while to fight the urge to buy toys for him that we came across.

We often give him cheap(er) non-toys to destroy. E.g a "plastic-y" bag from Primark with his favourite ball hidden inside. We might hide the bag and get him to find it. Does anyone else do this? I think it works as he knows he's only allowed to chew things we've allocated him.

He is supervised and we make sure to avoid choking hazards.

OP’s posts: |
missbattenburg Sun 25-Nov-18 11:30:38

Battendog often gets a cardboard box to destroy - sometimes with a few kibbles inside it.

I also use up old socks by stuffing an existing (half destroyed) toy into the toe end and pretending it's a brand new toy!

MasonJar Mon 26-Nov-18 08:28:39

My dogs destroy any bought toys within minutes.
I make tuggies out of old clothes, jeans are best, tear into strips and tie big knots. Keeps them busy for ages chewing and shredding the material, and playing tuggy with each other.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in