Talk

Advanced search

Tipping point to claim insurance.

(8 Posts)
LizzieMacQueen Mon 19-Nov-18 19:23:24

At what point do you decide to make a claim?

Annual premium is around £240. Excess is £140 and that gives lifetime cover up to £7.5k vets bills a year.

I know premiums will increase if I claim so wonder if it's worth claiming at all.

Dog is a F cocker spaniel, 5 years old. Vet bill £1,100 which was for investigative tests including multiple xrays cause we thought she'd eaten something bad; no conclusion other than slightly high fat levels in blood.

TIA

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Mon 19-Nov-18 19:26:09

I am with petplan and whilst the premiums go up each year as my dog gets older they don't hike them due to claims but your company might not be the same.

I therefore have claimed anything over my £85 excess no matter how big or small. In total I have claimed around £4500 in the first two years.

LizzieMacQueen Mon 19-Nov-18 19:30:15

Thanks Biteyshark. I'm thinking I will claim and then just keep claiming anything over the excess in future.

In my head I was thinking anything over £750 I should claim.

BiteyShark Mon 19-Nov-18 19:37:26

We have has big bills of over £2k and some small ones of a few hundred but I found even the small ones soon add up. As it stands even with no more claims it will still be a few years before we have paid out more than we claimed.

AnotherOriginalUsername Mon 19-Nov-18 19:43:46

I guess the only real answer is how much money can you afford to write off?

For some people that may be £500, some may be £1000, on the other hand I process claims for people who are going to get less than £100 back because they need it back.

Ragevibration Mon 19-Nov-18 19:45:49

I understand your predicament. I unfortunately had to claim £8k 6 months into our insurance as my puppy had a luxiating patella and needed surgery. So we went from £29 a month for two dogs to £98 a month by the next renewal.

Now I claim for everything about the £90 excess... just did one two weeks ago for £210 (including excess) as, to be frank, I thought fuck it you bloody charge me enough each month as it is.

Might be cutting my nose off to spite my face when they bump it up again come renewal time mind you!!!

BiteyShark Mon 19-Nov-18 19:49:34

That's they key thing isn't it on how much the premiums would increase with or without a claim. As petplan advertise they don't hike up the premiums based on claims I just do all of them and actually the first year it went up an extra £15 per year and this time it's went up another £50 per year so it makes sense for me to just claim everything no matter how small.

LizzieMacQueen Mon 19-Nov-18 21:25:49

Thanks all. Think i will make the claim. She is prone to chew on ridiculous things so there could well be extra costs in the future.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in