Treats that help slightly loose poo

(20 Posts)
MissShapesMissStakes Sat 10-Nov-18 07:50:42

My 4 month old puppy has a solid poo in the morning always. Then in the afternoon/evening when he goes again his poo is soft - I can pick it up still so not watery but it takes some careful handling!

Is this just a puppy thing? He has Orijen puppy.
The vet nurse suggested a week off all food except his Orijen so we are currently trying to do that. Problem being that he’s a puppy and can always find a crumb or two of cheese or something where my kids have just eaten. He also likes to munch on turf or bits of soil in the garden, though I do take them off him.

It’s hard work not giving him treats as he’s young and we are trying to reward good behaviour!

After a week what snacks are there around that help their poo to stay firm? Are then some to avoid?

He loves cooked carrot and green beans but has only had bits. Also white bread. Would these be ok?
I had been buying hot dog sausages for dogs and snipping little bits of it into a tin with some of his Orijen for when we are out. So he mostly gets his kibble but it tastes good. Is that still ok?

Also I read that puppies poo can be softer after exercise. He does run about a lot in the day. I wondered if that could be it?

OP’s posts: |
harrypotterfan1604 Sat 10-Nov-18 07:55:09

Origen is an incredibly good food! Can you reduce his kibble slightly and use the remainder as treats throughout the day? Reward him with a piece of his kibble rather than a treat?
My dog is 2 and still has soft poos but when she was a puppy it was watery and horrid. We found in her younger days chicken and cheese caused her problems so cut them out completely.
You could also try raw carrot pieces as a treat healthy and good for his teeth too.

BiteyShark Sat 10-Nov-18 08:01:58

My dog always has soft poos later in the day and we call them 'excitement poos' as they are when he is running about and he just wants to empty his bowels and continue playing.

My dog also has a long term condition which affect his stomach so we are careful not to give him 'fatty' treats. In fact the ones he can stomach in great quantity are Millie's wolfheat training treats - the hard 90% turkey ones - which are tasty and so tiny you don't even need to break them up like most other ones.

HermioneWaslib Sat 10-Nov-18 08:04:22

A bit of sweet potato did the trick for my pup

Vallahalagonebutnotforgotten Sat 10-Nov-18 08:38:24

Sometimes soft poo in second poo is a sign of too much food so I would cut back on the Orijen portions and use all meals as training.

Orijen is a food with little fillers so dogs do need small portions

MasonJar Sat 10-Nov-18 08:42:43

Agree with PP, give less food. The recommendations on the pack tend to be over generous.

thegirlsallgrowedupnow Sat 10-Nov-18 08:49:37

Agree with cutting down the kibble. If you want some high value rewards, some plain boiled chopped turkey, frozen so you can defrost a couple of chunks at a time would be less fatty than cheese or hotdog yet still tasty.

Advertisement

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Sat 10-Nov-18 09:07:20

Adult DDog always has a firm poo early in the walk and then they get progressively softer, though always acceptably solid. I've just assumed it's because later poos have spent less time in the large intestine where water is absorbed.

He's so energetic that sticking to the recommended portion sizes means he loses weight rapidly.

MissShapesMissStakes Sat 10-Nov-18 09:12:37

Thanks this is all quite reassuring.
He is more likely to take his kibble as a treat now as he’s a bit hungrier.

I will also cut down on his kibble and see if that helps.

MissShapesMissStakes Sat 10-Nov-18 09:18:40

Also would the occasional bit of white bread hurt. That’s a binder in humans so could it help with him? He loves it so much!

He’s also due to get his big teeth I think. Will a raw carrot to chew cause much harm?

harrypotterfan1604 Sat 10-Nov-18 09:46:48

No harm in a raw carrot at all just watch him with it whilst he’s still young.
I wouldn’t give him bread no, it’s stodgy and probably not very good for his little tummy

pigsDOfly Sat 10-Nov-18 10:49:10

Agree, drop the white bread, he doesn't need it and a lot of dog's can take wheat.

Oddly my dog, who has a very sensitive tummy, can't take cooked carrot but raw carrot is absolutely fine for her

Having said that she can't take kibble either or too many cooked vegetables of any kind so she's probably an extreme case.

Anything too oily will possibly make the dog's poo loose though.

She had awful stomach problems for months. I cut down her food - she's on wet food only - stopped all kibble and treats, except pure chicken and raw carrots occasionally, oh and water melon, she can have that every day, and her poos are now firm and healthy and she generally only poos once a day.

MissShapesMissStakes Sat 10-Nov-18 10:55:52

Ok no bread. He won’t be pleased! (It was only tiny bits)

Will try to stick to kibble for much longer than a week to get him settled and try things slowly.

He’s enjoyed a couple of bits of banana but haven’t tried water melon.

pigsDOfly Sat 10-Nov-18 11:05:39

A lot of dogs like banana but when I offered my dog some once she pulled a sort of blurgh face and spat it out grin. Clearly the texture wasn't for her.

She used to love apple but it's too acidic for her now. It's such a shame when a dog has to have a restricted diet but the difference in her is amazing so well worth the deprivation.

BiteyShark Sat 10-Nov-18 11:11:54

Mine spat out cucumber, banana, broccoli, cauliflower and apple. However, raw carrots are one of his favourites grin. He also likes raw peas straight from the pod I didn't sit there podding the peas for him honestly grin

MissShapesMissStakes Sat 10-Nov-18 11:26:06

😀 it always surprises me how much veg they can eat for some reason.
Do you cook the broccoli and cauliflower or is it raw?
I’ve just fed him his Orijen in an egg box and he loved it. If I stick to training just before his food times he is more than happy to get it as a reward too.

MissShapesMissStakes Sat 10-Nov-18 11:28:23

Any other chews recommended for slightly sensitive puppy tums? I got him an antler but after reading up on it decided not to as a couple of places mentioned it causing more stomach upsets in puppies. Which is a shame as he really enjoyed gnawing on that.

BiteyShark Sat 10-Nov-18 11:36:21

We have never had issues with antlers. All dogs react differently though so I would just try different things.

CitrusFruit9 Sat 10-Nov-18 11:37:30

Plain boiled rice and hard boiled chopped egg are good binders in dogs. You only need to give about a teaspoonful as a treat.

Over time you might want to try introducing other types of dog food a bit at a time and you will probably find there is one which particularly suits his digestion. I have two dogs on one food and one on another

Chewing treats are harder as most tend to be a bit laxative. Have you tried putting some of his food inside a kong so he will gnaw the kong trying to get it out?

MissShapesMissStakes Sat 10-Nov-18 11:47:30

Thanks Citrus.
I’ve just put him some kibble in some ice cubes to see how that goes. He loves ice cubes usually so these will be extra special!
I find kongs really hard to wash, I have tried freezing stuff in them before but not recently so will have another go. Anything to make his food last longer too is great!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in