This is a Premium feature
Choosing a Dog Walker(3 Posts)
Hi everyone, expecting a puppy in the New Year ! Please could you advise on how to choose a dog walker or any watch-outs re: Dog Walkers? Is there an accreditation for good ones, or something like OfSTED for Dog Walkers?? (like childminders?!)
Ask! Whilst you are our walking your puppy you will be a magnet for dog people who will all want to say hello. Ask them if they use one and who they use.
Once you have some contacts then expect the dog walker to either want to pop round to meet you and your dog and ask/answer questions or offer to take you along for some of a regular walk with them so you can see how they interact with the dogs.
Some questions you may want to ask are:
- about their experience
- how many dogs they walk at a time and where they go
- who/how many are on or off lead
- what they do when there is conflict/fighting
- whether they walk intact males, females together and what their policy is
- how much flexibility they can offer, cancellation policy etc
- how much holiday they take a year, when it is, how much notice they give and whether or not they have holiday cover
- how they will balance the needs of a young dog (puppy-ish) with an older one
Once you have a walker, your dog will be your best guide. I have an excellent walker for who Battendog literally sleeps by the front door when she is due. He is always thrilled to see her and always comes back with a relaxed, happy grin. Dogs don't fake being happy and so will be the best way to tell if this walker is the right fit. If your dog doesn't look over joyed, find another.
Please login first.