Puppy getting car sickness

(6 Posts)
ZenaThor Tue 06-Nov-18 00:57:59

Any advice or experience of this. 7 month old puppy who can’t seem to tolerate the car at all without being sick. Last trip was about a 7 minute drive there and back to a local forest-she was fine on the way out but vomited profusely when we were almost home. She has been sick coming home from the vet too after about 2 minutes which I put down to vet stress but after the last incident I think she’s getting motion sickness. Any advice?

OP’s posts: |
Jasmin82 Tue 06-Nov-18 01:32:29

Some dogs do grow out of it as they get older. When resident collie used to suffer with it, I used ginger biscuits as it can help settle the stomach. I also tried the Adaptil spray which seemed to help.
If you are really worried about it, you can speak with the vet on the phone and see what they advise on the best course.

Lucisky Tue 06-Nov-18 07:38:34

Our dog still occasionally suffers from car sickness, especially if the journey is a twisty one. We have found that sitting her on the back seat (with a seat belt clip) as opposed to in the hatchback area, really helps. She can also see us and where she is going, which, being small, she couldn't in the back.
I have some cheap fleeces (and a waterproof cover) on the seat, so if she is sick they are easy to wash and quick to dry.
We also take her on regular short trips in the car to interesting walks, so that she learns that cars can be fun. In the last six journeys she has been sick once, so getting better slowly. She is nearly two.

ZenaThor Tue 06-Nov-18 12:01:25

Thanks jasmin-she has a vet appointment soon so I will ask them for advice. Lucisky I’ll try that too because she absolutely loved her run in the forest and all the nice walking places are a car ride away and we really went to get her out regularly- I’ll cover the seats too next time!

OP’s posts: |
Vallahalagonebutnotforgotten Tue 06-Nov-18 15:11:35

There is a fab medication called Cerenia, expensive but effective and worth trying as it tends to break the cycle of car feel sick anxiety feel sick etc.

Also very sweeping statement but some breeds travel better if they can't see out and others prefer to see out so worth a try with this.

Herding dogs tend to get sick as they follow all the movement , so putting them into a covered crate can work.

MarcoPoloCX Wed 07-Nov-18 07:56:21

Fresh ginger root and water.
Give them a few mouthful of this mixture.
Don't travel after a meal and do lots of short frequent trips to get them used to travelling.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in