Ideas to keep puppy occupied

(7 Posts)
Headlesshorseman Sun 28-Oct-18 15:56:42

I could do with ideas to keep my puppy occupied during the day.
I'm suffering badly from Spd at the moment so can't stand/ walk to play as much as normal.
Puppy is 10months retriever.
He gets a good walk off lead for 45 mins in the morning and lead training walk (20-30mins) in the evening. He is normally happy to sit and doze with me, But seems to have a mad half hour in the afternoon.

I'v had a look at enrichment, he has lots of toys to destroy as he is a big chewer, but any other ideas that I can manage whilst sitting would be a great help.

Thanks in advance!

OP’s posts: |
missbattenburg Sun 28-Oct-18 16:06:07

I'm not totally clear on SPD so ignore any of the following you cannot do...

- if he eats kibble, stop feeding it as a meal. Instead, scatter it around the house, use a scatter toy or hide it somewhere several times a day.
- an alternative to the above is to hide some kibble inside newspaper stuffed inside a toilet roll inner and encourage him to find it and destroy the cardboard tube to get at the kibble.
- if he eats wet food, have a look at kongs and similar
- clicker train some tricks, such as spin, stand, hand touches. They are good brain activity and some may prove very useful in future (e.g. for a long while my spaniel would do his best recall to perform a hand touch, like a game
- train him to retrieve by teaching him the names of useful items (remote control) and then to bring them to you

almondsareforevermore Sun 28-Oct-18 19:39:10

Does he chase a ball? My puppy will chase a rolled golf ball indoors forever. Gnawing a big raw bone also keeps him busy.

fivedogstofeed Sun 28-Oct-18 19:52:13

A game of sprinkles could keep him occupied for easily 30-40 minutes and tire him out. You just sit and watch!

adaline Sun 28-Oct-18 20:11:40

Stop feeding through a bowl, and use one of the following methods:
- snuffle mat
- licky mat
- frozen kongs
- stuffed buffalo horns
- scatter feeding
- treasure hunt (hide his food in the garden and get him to find it)

If you can't do much walking then train him - kikopup on YouTube is free and a really great source. I've taught my pup loads from there and it's guaranteed to tire him out. Regular 5-10 minute sessions through the day, always ending on a positive note.

Look at the Canine Enrichment group on Facebook - there are tons of great ideas on there - they're not expensive and you can sit down! smile

MidLifeCrisis007 Sun 28-Oct-18 22:20:52

If you've got a bit of space in your house, you can really entertain a dog, even while seated, with a flirt pole.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0171F11BS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

Headlesshorseman Sun 28-Oct-18 22:34:17

Some great ideas thanks all. I'll give the scatter feeding a go in the morning to stretch out breakfast.
He's not got the best attention span so 5 minutes training would be enough for the both of us a couple of times a day.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in