Talk

Advanced search

What dry dog food do you use?

(51 Posts)
sidsgranny Sat 27-Oct-18 12:37:23

DDog is a 4.5 year old lab and has been on Royal Canin. He's gone off of it so am looking to swap.

Can't do raw so it will be dry.

What would you all recommend? Like the look of Lily's Kitchen but its pricey. Also looking at Wainwrights and James Wellbeloved.

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Sat 27-Oct-18 12:42:36

Have you used allaboutdogfood.co.uk? It will give you an idea of brands, quality and price.

I don't feed kibble any more as my dog finds it hard to digest. When I did I used millieswolfheart but now I just buy a small bag of kibble from forthglade as I throw in a couple of nuggets to give a bit of crunch to his wet food.

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 27-Oct-18 13:18:40

My lurcher normally has Dr John working dog food with a tablespoon of wet food and either gravy or a splash of sunflower oil. He also gets the plate scrapings if we've had something doggy-digestible. At the moment he is enjoying Lidl's Orlando multibites as the pet shop was shut when he needed more Dr John, and he's not only gobbling the lot and thriving, but it's also considerably cheaper.

starcrossedseahorse Sat 27-Oct-18 15:31:18

Guru or Gentle

PinkPupZ Sat 27-Oct-18 17:27:37

Canagan

DogInATent Sat 27-Oct-18 17:34:33

DDog is a 4.5 year old lab and has been on Royal Canin. He's gone off of it so am looking to swap.

Try mixing 1/5-1/4 tin of Lily's Kitchen/Nature's Menu (or any other tin/pouch food) through the RC, doesn't need to be much - just enough to change the flavour and add a different texture/mouthfeel. Change the variety/brand of the added wet food - it's very easy to add some variety to a basic all-in-one kibble.

Ridingthegravytrain Sat 27-Oct-18 17:36:59

Millie’s wolfheart

decadance Sat 27-Oct-18 17:49:04

We give our 5 year old lab half a pouch of nature diet chicken wet food with a handful of Lily's kitchen lamb dried, she really loves it but she's a lab, loves her food.

CherryPavlova Sat 27-Oct-18 18:13:04

We use Tails. He came to us already on it and we decided against making changes.

Nanasueathome Sat 27-Oct-18 18:15:26

I use Tails too
My dog has a mix of dry food and Lily’s kitchen wet food
Have tried different brands of dried food but she does enjoy Tails and eats it as soon as it is put down for her

Floralnomad Sat 27-Oct-18 18:30:10

I use Millie’s Wolfheart but mix feed wet and dry , he has kibble and either cheese or egg for breakfast and kibble and wet ( Lily’s kitchen or nature’s menu ) for tea.

Icklepup Sat 27-Oct-18 19:52:56

Markus Mühle.. My dogs love it!

Ishouldhaveknown Sat 27-Oct-18 20:02:56

Burns lamb and rice (ordered through Fetch.com) mine has colitis and it's one of a few she can stomach

theboxofdelights Sat 27-Oct-18 20:06:22

Burns chicken and rice, been on it for 12 years! Slightly sensitive stomach, we never give her people food apart from a bit of roast chicken or beef and gravy.

Soubriquet Sat 27-Oct-18 20:09:39

We use picolo from canagen

Specifically made for small dogs

FairfaxAikman Sat 27-Oct-18 20:22:58

Skinners Field and Trial is almost identical in composition to James Wellbeloved but a lot cheaper. Just something to consider if you want to go with that.

Personally I'd go for a higher protein food such as Millie's Wolfheart as you have to feed less - therefore a bag may cost more but it works out cheaper per meal.

roundtable Sat 27-Oct-18 20:25:24

This:
harrisondrakepetfood.com

TatterdemalionAspie Sat 27-Oct-18 20:33:03

This...
www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/merch-groups/fishmongers?Lifestage=%22Adult+Dog%22&Breed%20Size=%22Small+Breed%22

SweepTheHalls Sat 27-Oct-18 20:35:18

Tails!

anniehm Sat 27-Oct-18 20:40:30

Skinners working dog (vat free!)

IvysMum12 Sat 27-Oct-18 20:49:56

Turkey,sweet potato and cranberry grain free kibble from Betty and Butch.
She's nearly 8 slim, and has excellent energy levels Golden Retriever.

anunseemlylovefordustin Sat 27-Oct-18 20:57:44

I feed raw, but if we are ever away with the dogs (or they go to the dog-sitters) we give them Gentle kibble. It's the next best thing to raw.

Ticcinalong Sat 27-Oct-18 21:03:58

Millies Wolfheart 4.9 on all about dog food and my bunch look great on it, enjoy it and have perfectly formed poo’sgrin

Ticcinalong Sat 27-Oct-18 21:04:42

Sorry that wasn’t clear. Millies Wolfheart, it scores 4.9/5 on all about dog food which is a webpage which measures foods quality.

RTFT Sat 27-Oct-18 21:40:49

Our lab on Millies Wolfheart dry and Wainwrights wet mixed today...both low fat

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in