Kennel Cough

(25 Posts)
YearOfYouRemember Wed 17-Oct-18 14:33:13

My dog is about to go to the vet to see if she has kennel cough for the second time in ten months.

What can I do to help her? When, and should, she have the KC vaccination now? Was told not to worry as she'd never be in kennels and that it isn't 100%. Listening to her cough is awful though and I can't bare the thought of her suffering.

She's two and a golden retriever.

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Wed 17-Oct-18 14:43:30

I have the KC vaccination for my dog but treat it like the flu jab in that it may help prevent some strains but not all.

I possibly wouldn't have bothered initially if he didn't go to daycare but I have seen lots of people say that it was bad when they got it and I know of one dog that still sounded awful even after treatment so I would now still vaccinate regardless.

Wolfiefan Wed 17-Oct-18 14:46:35

Have you told the vet what it is? They should come out to you. Not have you maybe take KC into infect other dogs.
The vaccination isn’t 100%. It is like the flu jab and doesn’t protect against all strains. It’s also live and they shed it.
Kennel cough is misnamed. Your dog doesn’t need to go to kennels. Walking where there are other dogs is a risk too.

NarcolepticOuchMouse Wed 17-Oct-18 15:38:28

Ours get it every year with their normal boosters. They do go to kennels/day care a few times a year though so it's compulsory for them to have it to be taken on by the kennel. Thankfully we haven't had full blown KC yet, they do get a little cold once a year or so. Personally I think it's well worth it, yeah it may not always work but then on the other hand it could work all the time.

YearOfYouRemember Wed 17-Oct-18 17:36:43

I did tell them and we waited outside. Kennel cough confirmed. Antibiotics injection given and also tablets to start tomorrow. She won't be going out until she's stopped coughing but can anyone advise how long we need to wait once she's well to have the vaccination, also can she have it at the same time as her annual jab?

Thank you all.

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Wed 17-Oct-18 17:40:56

Don't know how long you would need to wait. You could phone the vets and ask when you could come in for the vaccine given your dogs history.

We just get ours at booster time.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Wed 17-Oct-18 17:48:04

Yes, you can get kennel cough done at the same time as boosters - it goes up the nose which isn't particularly fun ;) As others have said, it's similar to the flu jab in that it won't cover every strain but as she's obviously coming into contact with it, I would certainly have it done.

Do you have any idea where she's picking it up?

My personal tips to help her get over it - a spoonful of honey to soothe the throat (manuka ideally) and lots of steam. So if you have a humidifier, that's great, if not, sitting in a steamy bathroom helps too smile Good luck!

Advertisement

Floralnomad Wed 17-Oct-18 18:15:14

Try not to stress OP , I’m surprised the vet gave antibiotics , has the dog got a temperature ? . My dog came to us as a Battersea pup with very severe Battersea KC , and despite having the vaccination he gets it mildly at least once a year . We still vaccinate on the off chance that it will help as his original cough has left him with a damaged trachea . I rarely bother the vet with it now I just give him a couple of days of baby tixylix to soothe his throat .

YearOfYouRemember Wed 17-Oct-18 19:06:36

I have no idea where she has got it from. She likes to suck and eat grass and we go on some lovely walks. She's currently sleeping and has coughed once in the last four hours. Maybe five lots all day. Her temperature was normal. She's been given completely different meds from when she had it last time which has confused me. The vet we saw isn't one we've seen before.

We have a humidifier. Great idea, thank you.

Thank you everyone. You're all very kind and I appreciate not being made to feel an idiot for my questions or it's my fault.

OP’s posts: |
Wolfiefan Wed 17-Oct-18 19:10:22

I was going to say honey too! You’re not an idiot at all and of course it isn’t your fault. Kennel cough is something I dread as it can lead to pneumonia in giant breeds like my girl. My mum’s dog has had it a couple of times with no complications at all.
Hope your dog feels better soon.

YearOfYouRemember Wed 17-Oct-18 19:22:13

Dh has set the humidifier up straight away and doggy is now sleeping on the rug smile.

OP’s posts: |
Veterinari Wed 17-Oct-18 19:22:24

I’m surprised the vet gave antibiotics , has the dog got a temperature ?

Not a huge surprise considering it’s caused by a bacteria and it’s the second infection in 10 months. Yes kennel cough can often be self-limiting but if repeated, severe or additional signs are present a course of antibiotics is reasonable.

OP KC can be picked up anywhere and seems to be more common in the Autumn. It can occur anywhere that dogs interact eg local parks, dog daycare etc. Walking your dog’s in areas where dogs are less concentrated, and vaccinating will reduce (but not eliminate) risks

TheHodgeoftheHedge Wed 17-Oct-18 19:27:06

Please don’t beat yourself up, OP. It’s really contagious and surprisingly common. You haven’t done anything wrong!

anniehm Wed 17-Oct-18 19:28:17

Get the vaccine, it's squirted up the nose. We rarely use kennels but keep it up to date just in case we need to in emergency

Floralnomad Wed 17-Oct-18 20:16:19

Our vet is reluctant to give antibiotics unless the dog is showing other symptoms of illness not just the cough , I assumed that like in humans , antibiotic use in dogs should be saved for when they are completely necessary . Horses for courses I suppose like GPs . Hope dog gets well soon OP

Veterinari Wed 17-Oct-18 20:56:53

I assumed that like in humans , antibiotic use in dogs should be saved for when they are completely necessary

You assume correctly. Which is why it’s very unlikely the Vet has simply doled out antibiotics without good reason.

YearOfYouRemember Wed 17-Oct-18 21:13:31

Thank you all again. She's been sleeping on and off and no cough since about 7pm.

OP’s posts: |
Wolfiefan Wed 17-Oct-18 22:05:03

That sounds positive. Hope she’s fully better soon.

YearOfYouRemember Thu 18-Oct-18 13:51:07

Thank you. . She slept all night. While I've been in she's coughed and sneezed twice. Does there have to be a certain amount of time without a cough before she's allowed out? Given she can go hours between coughs it's going to be tricky to know when the cough has gone.

OP’s posts: |
Wolfiefan Thu 18-Oct-18 21:41:43

Don’t know about that one. Could the vet advise over the phone? Hoping she’s fully recovered soon.

YearOfYouRemember Fri 19-Oct-18 14:04:39

The vet just said she can go out once the symptoms have gone which doesn't help when coughs can be hours apart. Unless she has coughed when I was out for an hour she's not coughed today.

She was running around the garden like a lunatic earlier with her new toy. She's feeling better and desperate to go out I think. She barked when she saw her best friend walk past the house sad.

Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Fri 19-Oct-18 14:07:49

I would go out if no coughs the previous day but I would avoid contact with other dogs for a few more days just in case.

YearOfYouRemember Fri 19-Oct-18 14:09:12

Local walks then as where she likes to go there are quite a few dogs and no way is she going to not say hello to them. Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
tinymeteor Fri 19-Oct-18 23:09:25

Are you in London OP? I know two vaccinated dogs who've gone down with kennel cough this week. Seems there's a nasty viral strain going around.

YearOfYouRemember Sat 20-Oct-18 18:55:26

We are in Kent.

I've googled and still don't know what to do for the best. She's coughed once today and it was when she was desperate to get to the field. While at home and in the garden, no coughing. Some sites say stay in 1-2 weeks but she's a big dog and needs to go out.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in