Dog limping, not sure what to do.

(18 Posts)
pigsDOfly Mon 01-Oct-18 14:58:49

Dog has been running perhaps a bit too much recently and on Saturday morning I saw she was limping on one back leg. We haven't been out for walks since Saturday and she's spent the weekend lying on the sofa, being a bit quiet and obviously feeling sorry for herself.

The limping is intermittent and is worse when she's been sitting or lying down for a long period and she's a bit stiff when she gets up.

She's still able to go up and down stairs though, and still jumps up and down onto the sofa and my bed so she clearly isn't in agony.

This morning she seemed to feel a bit better and was more lively and playful but still limping

Normally I would be off to the vet at the first sign of anything like this - this isn't the first time this has happened, although last time was a long time ago - but this time I thought I'd wait and see how it went as last time there was nothing they could do other than give her an anti inflammatory/painkiller injection. I'm worrying that I'm being unfair not getting the injection but as I say she doesn't seem to be in that much pain.

I'm not sure how to proceed really and wondered if someone could give me the benefit of their experience with these sort of leg problems.

Clearly the rest is helping, but she's so bored poor little thing, and I was wondering if it would be better to take her to the vet for the injection, although I imagine she'd still need to rest, or carry on as I am - I had it in my head that if she hasn't stopped limping by towards the end of the week I take her there anyway.

Also, how long should I be keeping her off her walks? Is it just until the limp goes or do I wait beyond that. How do I know when she's all right to go for a short walk?

OP’s posts: |
MrsJayy Mon 01-Oct-18 15:01:15

I would take her to get checked over and maybe get pain relief thevet will be able to advise you on the walks

pigsDOfly Mon 01-Oct-18 15:06:12

Thanks Mrs Jay. Yes I think you're probably right.

I always rush off to the vet and just wondered if it was absolutely necessary this time.

OP’s posts: |
MrsJayy Mon 01-Oct-18 15:15:03

She has been limping for a couple ofdays it probably needs looked at.

pigsDOfly Mon 01-Oct-18 15:16:51

After my long post, and your response. I've decided to get her looked at and just managed to get myself squeezed in this evening for an appointment.

No point in leaving her limping. Don't know why I didn't book her in this morning really.

Thanks again for responding so quickly, you've helped me make up my mind.

OP’s posts: |
MrsJayy Mon 01-Oct-18 15:22:14

Sometimes you think they will get better on their own.

missbattenburg Mon 01-Oct-18 15:22:41

Before the vet I would get a bright torch and look VERY carefully in her paws.

Battendog limped like this and I was just about to call the vet when his groomer found a grass seed that had become wedged really tight in between his pads and rubbed the area. She said it was really hard to see but once it was removed he stopped limping.

At the first sigh of trouble like this again, I'd check for a seed first. If I couldn't find anything, however, I'd make a vet appointment.


pigsDOfly Mon 01-Oct-18 16:15:05

Thanks for that missbattenburg, as far as I can tell there's nothing going on with her paws as I did press them several times.

Typically, she seems to have stopped limping now I've made the appointment. Having said that this was the pattern yesterday, she stopped limping rushed around like a daft thing, sat down a bit and when she got up she was limping again.

I did wonder if it would go of it's own accord and I suspect it would but I'll feel happier to let the vet have a look at her and as you say, MrsJayy, I can ask about walking her.

I don't want to walk her too soon but if she can walk I don't want to make her rest. She's getting fed up with being stuck in the house poor little thing.

OP’s posts: |
han01uk Mon 01-Oct-18 16:18:03

Could be a cruciate ligament injury. Ours was intermittently lame when she ruptured both of hers. Apparently dogs have a very high pain threshold,and aim to please us so will improve if they think we want to take them out or something. Best to get it checked,but hope you have adequate insurance if it is! (We have insurance but I am £9000 worse off and four operations later!)

Wolfiefan Mon 01-Oct-18 16:18:09

Mine has had a limp after overdoing it. Sore for a couple of days or maybe three. My concern would be cruciate ligament rather than muscle strain. Hope it’s all ok.

Wolfiefan Mon 01-Oct-18 16:18:28

X post.

thereallifesaffy Mon 01-Oct-18 17:17:42

Back or front leg problem? If back, it could be a cruciate issue. If a minor problem that means lots of rest. If fully torn, you're looking at an op. The vet should be able to assess quite easily. My dog tore both cruciates so I have a gcse in the subject!

Agentornika Mon 01-Oct-18 17:52:48

Yup sounds like cruciate, my lab has had 3 cruciate ops now, 1 went fine, other 2 failed

pigsDOfly Mon 01-Oct-18 18:18:25

Just got back from seeing the vet.

She said it's luxating patella. Not extreme at the moment but obviously these things can get worse. She's not limping at all now and vet said everything is nicely in place now. No need for pain killer or anything so that's good.

I suspect it was aggravated by too much running last week. With the nice weather we had here we were in the park every day and she was running almost non stop. Need to keep the running down a bit and do more walking.

I'm really glad I went. As I now know what I'm dealing with. Vet said she's fine to walk so we had a nice walk, not too long, and she now lying asleep beside me a much happier dog.

Thanks everyone for your advice, much appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
Wolfiefan Mon 01-Oct-18 18:19:44

I hope it stays well. Hydrotherapy any use?

pigsDOfly Mon 01-Oct-18 18:32:27


At the moment the vet seems to feel that it's not problematic enough to need any sort of treatment. Just to see if it does or doesn't get worse and if it does we'll take it from there.

She said it was quite secure at the moment that she could have pushed it out but she would have had to have given it quite a hard push to do so.

Hopefully, it stays that way.

Not sure how the dog would feel about Hydrotherapy tbh, she not a great lover of water grin

OP’s posts: |
Wolfiefan Mon 01-Oct-18 18:34:27

Hope all goes well.

pigsDOfly Mon 01-Oct-18 18:37:04


OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in