Toy dog breeds.

(4 Posts)
FluffyPinkCloud Mon 01-Oct-18 05:37:16

I’m thinking of getting another dog and I’d really like a small breed. I have a physical condition which means I can’t do long walks so a dog which doesn’t need lots of exercise would be good, one which is good with kids and other animals and one which is calm and not yappy. Am I asking too much? Does this type of small pooch really exist? We were thinking of something like a pug or a bichon. Do you ladies have any suggestions? Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
bunnygeek Mon 01-Oct-18 12:15:10

Could you maybe adopt a small breed from a rescue? Any puppy is going to be a loon so could be a challenge if you're limited physically. Not all the small breeds from rescues will be child friendly as so many will have come from child-free homes, depends on how young said children are!

I wouldn't recommend Pugs because of their bazillion expensive health problems. A Bichon or maybe Lhasa or Shih Tzu, as long as you're able to afford the grooming bills! Like little Tank here as an example, apparently good with children over 11:

bunnygeek Mon 01-Oct-18 12:15:16

www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/dogs/dog/filters/~~small~~~n~/1202711/tank

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Mon 01-Oct-18 14:35:37

I'd be looking at older rescue dogs based on what you've said you want. Perhaps the sort of dog that comes in because the owner has died. You get to skip the puppy stage (which is incredibly hard work) and know what you are getting in terms of individual personality, as they are adults.

Chat to some rescues and talk about the characteristics you're after and see what they have. You might find they have an individual dog that would be perfect for you but wasn't a breed you would have thought of, or it might be a mutt.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in