Puppy training - furniture

(5 Posts)
Shoeshelpplease Sun 30-Sep-18 18:44:39

Its early days of our puppy training and one element is causing problems.

The plan is that the dog wont be allowed up on the furniture. However as the dog is for now a puppy, we are spending a lot of time cuddling (hes an incredibly cuddly puppy).

In order to be consistent, we are sitting on the floor for these cuddles / play time etc. This is causing problems as its very uncomfortable, difficult on our backs.

There probably isn't an answer to this as consistency is key. Has anybody else come astuck with this issue?

OP’s posts: |
Vallahalagonebutnotforgotten Sun 30-Sep-18 20:06:22

If you do not want a dog on the furniture do not have a puppy on the furniture smile

I would get some comfy vet bed so you can all have cuddles on the floor.

MissShapesMissStakes Sun 30-Sep-18 20:30:26

I’ve also decided our puppy isn’t allowed on the furniture. So we do the same and the kids often have a cuddle on the floor with him, as do I.

But at night when I want to relax before bed and the kids are in bed I sit on the settee and he sits happily at my feet. Sometimes I put a cushion or is blanket down and he will sit there. And I scratch his belly a bit to settle him.

But then even if I’m working in the kitchen till late on my computer he will lie on the kitchen floor at my feet.

The only time he likes to go on the furniture is when he’s having one of his mad hours or when my kids have eaten something on there and it smells good.

adaline Sun 30-Sep-18 20:36:08

Can you get cushions or something so you can all sit on the floor with him?

I'm not much help with this as all my pets are allowed everywhere - there's nothing better than snuggles with a sleepy hound on the sofa under a pile of blankets!

Shoeshelpplease Sun 30-Sep-18 20:50:40

Thanks for the replies, yes I guess there is no answer really. On the floor it is then!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in