Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about your pet's health, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.
This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
I think there's a hard decision for me to make 😢(6 Posts)
He is 9 years old and absolutely wonderful.
For the last 2 and a half months he has been vomiting several times a day.
He has lost 7 kg in weight (started at 32kg)
The vets have tried medication, special food, anti sickness injections (which work for 3 or 4 days and then he starts again)
He has had full body x rays and a camera down - no blockages or tumours found.
Vets have admitted they have no idea what is wrong with him at this point, and the next step is to open him up and take biopsies of all the organs they can access.
We are up to around £2000 in vets bills and although he is insured I don't yet know of they will honour the claim.
I'm nor sure I can put him through the next operation knowing they may well find nothing again.
I don't know how much longer I can go on watching him retch, vomit, not eat and get thinner and thinner before I have to accept it's time to say goodbye.
What do I do?
Sorry I can't be much help, but we are in a similar situation so I hope you don't mind me posting. It's awful isn't it. Dh is taking ddog back to the vets in the morning for a scan. I will happily admit that she is his dog, and I don't always find it easy owning her but this is heart breaking. Last week she projectile vomited blood. I have never been so scared in my life. She has gone downhill from there and it's not looking good. X-ray was clear, we are waiting on blood tests. She has been vomiting on and off for a long time now but the vet just gives antibiotics and antacids. This time they are taking it more seriously. Today she has vomited 19 times.
Have you considered allergy testing? It is quite expensive but should be covered by insurance.
I think i would be very reluctant to go down the surgery route.
I'm so sorry. My only input Is that I had the same with our dog and it turned out to be a very severe chicken and grain allergy. He's on a fish food now with no vomiting for 6 weeks now, but it looked like he might have to be put down in April. He's 9
Have you asked for a referral to a referral vet hospital?
Having exhausted all the ideas your local vets have (who are usually GP equivalents) I think it would be reasonable to ask to be referred to a vet hospital such as www.rvc.ac.uk/small-animal-referrals or www.langfordvets.co.uk/small-animal-hospital
Allergy is the first thing that comes to my mind too.