Irresponsible dog owner.

(12 Posts)
JKCR2017 Sun 16-Sep-18 12:53:32

Basically my mother and father in law have two dogs. They booked a holiday abroad a few months ago and they went on Friday. They didn’t book the kennels until last week. They didn’t have availability until Sunday (today) and asked if we could take them over. Obviously we also had to keep checking on them between Friday and today. My partner stayed there on Friday night with them.

We cannot really have them here as we have a dog and she’s a bit nervous around other dogs and the two dogs aren’t overly keen on children (they are used to the quiet of an adult only home). 3 dogs and 2DC (one with additional needs) would be a bit much for me.

Anyhow, we took them to the kennels today. We were told by my in laws that they could be dropped off at anytime. We decided to take them early. The kennels didn’t open until 11 and they weren’t booked until 3 but the owner agreed to take them early. But then we pass them their vaccinations cards. We didn’t know that they weren’t up to date so they won’t have them anyway.

So now we have two dogs that need vaccinating before they can go to the kennels. Cannot get hold of the in laws. We have spent way too much this week (car breakdown, I’ve had an unexpected dental cost etc). We need to get a vets appointment and find the spare money to vaccinate them ourselves and get them back to the kennels.

Whilst my mother in law is sunning it up in Spain. We have to sort her poor dogs out! It seems unfair on the dogs and us!

OP’s posts: |
Aprilshowersnowastorm Sun 16-Sep-18 12:54:50

Booster needed or full set of jabs?
Cf of the day to your ils op.

Pinkbendyman Sun 16-Sep-18 12:57:14

How long are your in-laws on holiday for?

If the vaccinations have run out, the dogs will need a course of 2 injections, usually 2 weeks apart.

Will the kennels accept the dogs after only having had the 1st vaccination, as the dogs won’t be fully protected.

BiteyShark Sun 16-Sep-18 12:59:54

Will they even take them straight away after the vaccinations (some kennels require kennel cough done a week or so beforehand)?

I would be very annoyed in your shoes. Make sure they take full responsibility next time so no volunteering to take them again.

CantankerousCamel Sun 16-Sep-18 13:00:25

Very much doubt the kennel will accept your dogs so soon after vaccination.

You need to find an alternative solution

chicken75 Sun 16-Sep-18 13:04:39

OP would you need the kennel cough vaccine done too? It usually needs to be done in advance I think.

JKCR2017 Sun 16-Sep-18 13:15:43

The owner said he would accept them if they have the first injection 😊 He said if we could find a vet open today we could get it done and accept them. I think he felt sore for us. We had travelled to pick the dogs up then travelled to the kennels!

I think my partner is going to stay there for two weeks overnight and check
On them once in the day day. He can’t do more than that as he works long hours.

I am so angry and sad about how stupid they could be. Last jabs were in 2016 before they went to the kennels last. I remember mil telling me they had to get them done for the kennels last minute and she’s done t again. Surely you would know second time around.

The guy even told us that he asked my mother in law if they have had their booster! 🤔🤔

Advertisement

JKCR2017 Sun 16-Sep-18 13:16:09

Sorry not sore. Rush typing..

pigsDOfly Sun 16-Sep-18 13:28:02

Looks like they landed you with this because they are, as you say irresponsible dog owners.

My kennels has a record of my dog's injections and would have asked me if they are up to date if the dog hadn't been to the kennels for two years.

Not sure about general boosters as it's never been an issue, dog is regularly vaccinated, but for kennel cough they require it to be done at least 2 weeks prior to dog staying with them. Although, tbh kennel cough is a bit pointless really in many cases as it doesn't cover some of the different viruses, however, that's what the kennels want and so it behoves the owner to make sure these things are done.

Your ILs have been very unfair to you.

pigsDOfly Sun 16-Sep-18 13:35:06

*Sorry, that wasn't clear, I mean't that my kennels want kennel cough done two week prior to dog's stay. Other kennels might be different.

JKCR2017 Sun 16-Sep-18 19:44:46

Thanks all. Took all day to get hold of the in laws. Considered taking them to the vets to be vaccinated tomorrow but out they were actually vaccinated 2 months ago ish but it wasn’t put into their vaccination logs. I don’t know how mil expected us to prove they’d had them done to the kennel owners?? I think she thought they wouldn’t ask but clearly they would and they did and we hadn’t been told about vaccinations just given their vaccination journal with no up to date info. Major major mistake on behalf of the in laws and feeling rather annoyed how they’d be so stupid to go on holiday and leave us with this fuss!

BiteyShark Sun 16-Sep-18 19:57:25

I am not surprised you are annoyed. So all of this would have been avoided if they weren't so rubbish. It's the first thing I check when I take mine to be vaccinated is that it's recorded correctly in his card so that daycare/boarding have an up to date record.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in