How soon after a spay are the stitches safe?

(12 Posts)
ThespianTendencies Thu 13-Sep-18 20:34:05

I mean do I have to keep the the tee-shirt on that the vets give you once the op is done so they don't scratch? She was spayed 10 days ago and it is getting filthy! I really want to give her a bath and take it off and give her a good brush but I don't want to tempt her to scratch and pull at her stiches? Should they be fairly healed by now?

OP’s posts: |
LEMtheoriginal Thu 13-Sep-18 20:37:05

We usually remove stitches after 10 days. With a check up abput 5 days. I eould say so long as the wound has healed nicely you should be able to remove the shirt.

ThespianTendencies Thu 13-Sep-18 20:38:26

Thank you - I don't have an appointment to remove stitches? Are they dissovable? I wil take the tee off and giver her a little wash I think.

BiteyShark Thu 13-Sep-18 20:41:05

I had an appointment booked just under two weeks after castration for them to give me the all clear on the stitches. Up until then I made sure they stayed dry and away from his teeth so he had a cone when he was not being closely supervised.

Do you have an appointment to go back? I certainly wouldn't bather her until you get the all clear. Could you put a cone on her and wash and dry the medical suit and then put it back on her.

SerendipityFelix Thu 13-Sep-18 20:42:37

We routinely do post op checks at 3 and 10 days, and generally wounds are reasonably healed by day 10, but would always advise a post op check with vet or vet nurse to confirm, because over the internet we can’t tell how your dog’s individual wound is healing.

BiteyShark Thu 13-Sep-18 20:42:49

The stitches my dog had for castration were dissolvable but we still had to have a final check up to see that everything had healed correctly.

What did your vets say?

Ohyesiam Thu 13-Sep-18 20:42:53

7 yo 1 days for humans, so probably yhe same for dogs

Advertisement

fleshmarketclose Thu 13-Sep-18 20:45:22

Bella's just been speyed, we had a wound check on day 2 and stitches came out on day ten. She wore the t shirt until day ten but I did take it off to wash a couple of times and put an inflatable collar on whilst it was off.

Ginorchoc Thu 13-Sep-18 20:49:29

Our girl was spayed Monday, first check up last night and back for second check up on Wednesday, she is acting as if nothing has happened. Once the GA fully wore off. Not to get wet for 14 days, no walks for 10 days, although he said last night see how she goes because she has recovered well a couple of short walks will be ok.

Did your Vet not give you after care advice? If not phone them.

ThespianTendencies Thu 13-Sep-18 21:21:30

I’ve been back after 3 days but there’s no further appt booked. I’ll call tomorrow. Thankyou.

almondsareforevermore Mon 17-Sep-18 20:08:31

The wound needs keeping dry. She cannot need bathing or brushing so soon after an operation. Once or twice a year is enough for baths.

ThespianTendencies Mon 17-Sep-18 21:15:50

almondsareforevermore Once or twice a year [big grin]. She is the filthiest little mutt I ahve ever owned. She regularly rolls in fox shit and is pure white with hair rather than fur. No way could she last a week without a bath let alone a year [big grin]

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in