Talk

Advanced search

Dog fights. Yes or no.?

(6 Posts)
YippeeKayakOtherBuckets Thu 13-Sep-18 16:57:28

Well, not fighting. But playfighting.

Our lab puppy is 12w and the chi x jrt is 3 and they bomb around the house trying to murder each other. It is most definitely play, lots of OTT snarling, they’re both bouncing, keep going back for more, tails wagging and ears relaxed, so no worries on that front. And it is quite amusing to watch the chi win.

But. It’s bloody noisy, and irritating, especially when the kids are around, and they love to jump all over me/the sofa while doing it. I have been chucking them straight in the garden but that only breaks it up, they run around the garden separately and then want to come back in, and then they start up again.

Plus the puppy does submissive wees when he ‘loses’.

Can I have some tried and tested methods please because I want to be consistent. Do you let them, up to a point? Separate them (whenever I have them in different rooms they whine for each other)? Break it up with a Kong each?

This is my first time having more than one dog in the house and it’s, er, different!

OP’s posts: |
YippeeKayakOtherBuckets Thu 13-Sep-18 19:26:35

Anyone?

CanYouHearThat Thu 13-Sep-18 20:02:55

I wouldn't let them play more than a few minutes and then only if it were gentle chewing each other type play. The thought of a fully grown lab bounding about in play mode does not bode well. I would separate them and use the time the lab is in 'play mode' to play with me for bonding and training. If they want to romp about in the garden together, then fine, but i would check occasionally that when i called they both broke it off immediately and returned to me. The last thing you want is the lab over bonding to the terrier and not listening to you. The rule of thumb is 1 hour play with you, for every 10 mis with the other dog. Remembering they speak 'dog' naturally, they have to learn how to communicate with you.

CanYouHearThat Thu 13-Sep-18 20:04:26

*10 mins

YippeeKayakOtherBuckets Thu 13-Sep-18 20:10:47

Ah, I’d not thought of the bonding thing. He follows her out for wees and I’ve given up feeding them separately so she now eats from his bowl first while he lays down watching her, so she is very much the boss.

He does listen to me, mostly, unless they’re really engrossed, but I don’t let him ignore me, if he does I physically move him. I’ll definitely implement the 10mins to 1 hr rule though, that sounds v sensible, thanks.

YippeeKayakOtherBuckets Thu 13-Sep-18 20:13:00

I’ve just stepped in between them and told them both to sit, which they did, so that bodes well. Although they started up again as soon as they were released.

I have to say I am LOVING training the lab pup as my darling chi was a different kettle of fish entirely grin, she only really started listening to me when she was two or so.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in