Dog friendly Kitchen flooring

(11 Posts)
idontknowwhattohave Mon 10-Sep-18 23:07:08

10 year old arthritic black Labrador slips and slides and scrabbles to get up on the laminate floor and ceramic tiles and as we're having a new kitchen I'm looking at and what flooring works best for him. We're looking at flooring for it and thinking about getting a matt karndean or amtico tile but we don't want to spend all this money on it if it's going to cause our dog an injury

OP’s posts: |
Catzpyjamas Mon 10-Sep-18 23:11:00

Could you get the non slip altro flooring you see in hospitals? Comes in lots of colours .

idontknowwhattohave Mon 10-Sep-18 23:12:24

First post sent too soon I hit the wrong button - here's the post without the errors
Our 10 year old arthritic black Labrador slips and slides and scrabbles to get up on laminate floor and ceramic tiles and, as we're having a new kitchen I'm looking at what flooring will work best for him. We're thinking about a matt karndean or amtico tile but we don't want to spend all this money on it if it's going to cause our dog an injury. Anyone else have this problem and can advise us?

idontknowwhattohave Mon 10-Sep-18 23:13:37

Thanks @Catzpyjamas you did well to make sense of my first post 😀

Catzpyjamas Mon 10-Sep-18 23:16:08

You're welcome. Altro is used in a lot of vet practices so usually good for unsteady dogs. And it's ever so slightly sparkly smile

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Tue 11-Sep-18 07:58:11

As he's an older dog, might it be worth getting what you want now and putting down some non slip mats over the top for a few years?

DeadCertain Tue 11-Sep-18 18:04:19

We have a matt karndean; seems to work well.

Advertisement

Vallahalagonebutnotforgotten Tue 11-Sep-18 19:44:08

I have yoga mats on my kitchen floor for my oldie, Not all over smile but by his bed and a route to his water bowl

tenbob Tue 11-Sep-18 20:01:58

We've got one of these in our kitchen to stop ours getting wheel spin from the floors!

They are totally washable - small stains get blotted off with a cloth, or it can be dragged outside and hosed off for anything major

https://www.therugseller.co.uk/patio/d-50-6138

Albus62442 Thu 13-Sep-18 13:08:22

We have amtico 'wood' flooring in our kitchen and hallway, it has a grain indented in it so it has grip. Our pup only skids a little and only when he's running after his ball. It's actually been great and his bottom doesn't slip down when he sits as it does on the laminate in the puppy training hall! Easy to clean too!

AgathaF Thu 13-Sep-18 15:34:16

We had Karndean in the kitchen when we had our old dog. He did reach an age when he couldn't walk on it any more, so we put a series of runners down so that he had a path of carpet runners across the kitchen.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in