Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about your pet's health, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.
This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
When to go to the vets?(10 Posts)
DDog2 has the runs
Started this morning, currently three episodes in the house and a couple outdoors, literally water now.
I think he may have thrown his breakfast up
but DDog3 has probably eaten it as I found traces on the floor. Apart from that he's not been sick again.
I'm very much of the "wait and see" camp but in all my years of owning and working dogs I have never seen so much shit come out of one dog
Apart from this he's a little subdued (hardly a wonder TBH) but is trotting round the house with the others, drinking normally and definitely interested when I was making lunch. Hasn't been in kennels recently, vaccinations up to date (we have had parvo locally so we're really hot on them) and to the best of our knowledge hasn't eaten anything grotty.
My gut says to wait and see, it's just the sheer volume that's causing me to think twice.
The problem is that the vets will immediately say I need to bring him in, direct me to a satellite surgery miles from home and charge me £90.
It's not that I won't pay if it's necessary, more that I begrudge payingbwhen it isn't IYSWIM?
Really? I called our vet on BH Mj day for advice and they told me what to do until I could take him to the normal surgery. Obviously you may have no choice but I wouldn't register with a vet that wouldn't give advice
You could pop in for some pro bind or similar. It can be bought over the counter and helps firm things up. I'd get some lectade or rehydration sachets at the same time. If it's large amounts and frequent then he's at risk of dehydration. No Improvement in 24 hours or any more vomiting then I'd be seeing the vet.
I've found that vets are actually quite good at telling me to wait and see where possible - while I'm rather cavalier with my own health I tend to err on the side of caution with DDog.
This has made me think twice about my vets practice actually. When I joined nearly 20 years ago it was two small surgeries both in old converted shops. I knew the vets (all three of them!) by name and it was faintly reminiscent of a James Herriot story. Nowadays things are very different and I've been grumbling resentfully on and off about it for the last six years or so. It's actually taken this thread to make me realise that I need to make a change
My only issue with ProBind is that if it is a bug then it's really better out than in <wafts hankie under nose>
So far he seems ok, no further episodes
though I doubt he's got much left after this morning and is mooning around the house looking faintly bemused at his continuous ejections into the garden.
I suppose the telling time will be once he's had some food, I'm thinking a small handful of rice and scrambled egg early evening.
Pretty much the same as Avocados in that I go to the vets much quicker than I would go to the doctors for myself simply because BiteyDog can't actually tell me what's wrong plus we have caught serious issues very quickly which would have been a problem with a wait and see.
My vets though try and save me money all the time so I know they don't suggest things unless we both feel it's necessary.
Hope he starts to get better soon.
My dog has recently had diarrhoea bur fine in herself and as hungry as ever. I didn't give her any treats or her evening meal (she ate breakfast before I realised). I Googled and it suggested chicken and rice so she's been on that for about a week. We'll start to wean her back onto her usual food over the next few days. We tried it earlier and she wasn't ready and got diarrhoea again. Maybe give it a go?