Wooden floors?

(13 Posts)
RosieBdy Fri 07-Sep-18 18:24:25

We’re at the very early stages of thinking about getting a puppy...
I’ve been busily researching various things, then someone said to me that our floors weren’t ideal (we have wooden floors throughout apart from lino in the kitchen and carpet on the stairs) and that a dog wouldn’t like the slidey surface...
Do your puppies/ dogs struggle on wooden floors? Do they get used to it?
Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Fri 07-Sep-18 18:29:12

my puppy is absolutely fine on our wooden floor, which we have in the hallway. all the best x

BiteyShark Fri 07-Sep-18 18:36:38

We have wood throughout. He struggles to get grip when he's trying to run outside knowing we are going for a play session.

We have put long rugs down in front of the sofas and bed that he jumps on and off from as I was worried he would slip and hurt himself.

Apart from that he copes fine.

Floralnomad Fri 07-Sep-18 19:40:01

We have wood in some rooms downstairs and carpet upstairs and dog manages fine , we are just finishing a lounge extension and that will then be changing to wood mainly because of the dog - it’s so much easier to keep it clean and less of an issue if he vomits or bleeds . Our current carpet was ruined when he cut his ear tip and bled all over the downstairs , it was like a crime scene ! We put anti slip things under any rugs . My mum has wood throughout and her small elderly dogs have always been ok although the mastiff she had previously did struggle a bit when he was older and doddery so she just overloaded on rugs .

RosieBdy Fri 07-Sep-18 21:27:36

Thank you all. We have a big rug in front of the sofas, maybe that will be ok then!
So much to think about... I’m hankering after a cocker spaniel as that’s what I grew up with. The DC would love it, and both DH and I grew up with dogs. It’s just a big decision to make isn’t it!

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Fri 07-Sep-18 23:04:16

I've got laminate floors in one room. DDog (low centre of gravity) has no problems with it, and when playing fetch he's perfected the art of braking at the right moment and sliding into the the right spot to catch the ball. The scrabbling when he tries to get up asked very rapidly is almost cartoon like. Non slip mats under rugs are no match for DDog.

No proper problems, though a more delicate dog might be unwise.

RosieBdy Sat 08-Sep-18 09:31:48

Thanks, I think maybe if a puppy grows up with it then it will be ok...
It was someone who doesn’t have a dog that made the comment. They’d had a dog visit and the dog found the wooden floors tricky - slipping around all over the place.

Advertisement

OrcinusOrca Sat 08-Sep-18 09:34:45

It depends what kind of wood I think. We have flooorboards and they cope fine, but engineered wood is a lot worse for mine. They'll usually cope just beware of potential crashes as the brakes haven't worked as well as intended!

MrsJayy Sat 08-Sep-18 09:35:34

We have laminate in the livingroom and hall and sometimes he slips if he gets spooked usually by a draught hmm but it is so easy to clean my upstairs carpets can smell a bit doggy, imo wood is better

MrsMozart Sat 08-Sep-18 09:40:26

Dogs are fine on our wooden floors.

No isues as pups.

Rhe only issue was our little old man whose backend couldn't cope, so we bought a big flat weave rug for the sittingroom, which was where he pretty much lived for his last year.

The only we had with a wooden floor in the diningroom is that as the pups grew so did their chewing ability... As they're Rotties they have quite big and powerful jaws and the floorboards were starting to suffer. We've since had porcelain tiles laid and all is good. There's still floorboards in the sittingroom and hallway, but for some reason they don't eat those ones!

starcrossedseahorse Sat 08-Sep-18 15:07:11

We have only wooden/tiled floors with rugs here and there. Don't like carpet anyway but carpet and dog feet is a bad combo imo! Our dogs do just fine on it.

RosieBdy Sat 08-Sep-18 15:07:41

Wow MrsMozart, I thought that they might chew the skirting boards, but never thought a dog would chew the floorboards!!
Thanks all, I think I can knock that off my list of negatives then. Yippee! smile

MrsMozart Sat 08-Sep-18 16:12:38

Happy puppy!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in