Dog - very ticklish

(5 Posts)
anonymousbird Wed 05-Sep-18 14:49:01

I have an 11 year old female lab. In good health, fit, eating and exercising/sleeping all as normal. Over the summer the PILs lost her Furminator, so not been brushed for a few weeks. However lots of swimming and towelling, so loose fur been largely maintained that way.

Found the furminator the other day, so this week back into routine of regular brushing. However, the second I touch her with it, she is all twitchy and ticklish - legs going like the clappers etc. Doesn't seem painful, and she is not resisting it but involuntary action on her part.

Have inspected carefully and other than a small amount of dry skin (normal for her) I can't see any evidence of sores, bites, fleas etc. To my knowledge she has never had fleas or other infestations, but I am assuming if something were on her, there would be scratches, bites or other evidence.

Grateful for any tips on whether I should investigate further, or perhaps just part of her getting older and a few weeks without brushing means I've really noticed this change in her this week.

TIA.

OP’s posts: |
anonymousbird Thu 06-Sep-18 08:19:05

Bump!

anonymousbird Fri 07-Sep-18 14:27:03

Bump.

Imsorrylhaventaclue Fri 07-Sep-18 18:34:47

Is she twitchy all over? As long as she doesn’t seem distressed I’d keep going and see whether she gets used to it. She might just be itchy next to the skin where she’s not been brushed, particularly if she’s been getting damp a lot.

anonymousbird Mon 10-Sep-18 11:03:56

I'm going to do lots of brushing for a week and see how we go. Have "blitzed" her for two days and loads of under coat etc has come out - she's still scratching certain spots a bit but is now less sensitive when I brush - not so ticklish. Skin looks ok from what I can see.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in