How to approach neighbour?

(11 Posts)
CaptainCallisto Tue 04-Sep-18 19:35:36

The neighbours at the back of our house have a Dalmatian. He's gorgeous, very placid, and we usually don't hear more than him barking in welcome when they get home.

Just recently though I've heard him howling a few times while he's alone. Because it seems to be a new thing I feel like I ought to mention it to his owner, but I'm not sure how to do it. I don't want her to think I'm complaining about the noise; I just want to check he's ok!

We're only on 'nod and smile when we're passing' terms so it's not like I can casually drop it into our normal conversation.

If it was your dog would you want to know?

OP’s posts: |
DogInATent Tue 04-Sep-18 19:38:28

If it was your dog would you want to know?

Yes.

TropicPlunder Tue 04-Sep-18 19:43:05

Anonymous note through the door even. I would want to know. You could say exactly what you wrote here, that you're not complaining about the noise, but it seems like a new thing and you weren't sure if they're aware

CaptainCallisto Tue 04-Sep-18 20:18:49

Thank you both. I'll see if I can catch her attention over the fence in the next few days smile

Cindersdonegood Tue 04-Sep-18 20:30:10

Next door's dog has started howling and I mentioned it (stressing that I was in no way complaining, just worried). They said they thought it could be because there was a bitch in heat that had been around and he was still acting out of character and howling when they were out. It could be the same thing for the Dalmatian.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 05-Sep-18 01:36:10

I'd want to know, as a dog owner, so I could do something about it. A howling dog is often not a happy dog

BackToTheFuschia7 Wed 05-Sep-18 01:44:06

Yes, please tell them. I would want to know and wouldn’t be at all offended.

Advertisement

adaline Wed 05-Sep-18 07:42:47

I'd want to know as well.

Like a PP said if he's an entire male it could be because there's a bitch in heat and he's desperate to get out and find her!

bluetongue Wed 05-Sep-18 13:29:41

Yes, I’d want to know. I had two neighbours that told me about my puppy howling. Turns out he had separation anxiety and it meant I could get him help early.

He would show no signs of distress when I left the house so I had no idea he was so unhappy.

CaptainCallisto Thu 06-Sep-18 12:08:47

Managed to catch my neighbour this morning and she was very grateful. She had had no idea that he had been doing it as he doesn't show any signs of upset when she goes out. Apparently they've been doing a lot of redecorating and he's been quite unsettled, so she suspects it's related to that and hoped it he'll settle down again once it's all finished.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone!

typoqueen Wed 12-Sep-18 21:33:55

it could just be down to a bitch close by that is in season, i have a male and female and when she is in season we have about 2 weeks of the pair of them howling, whimpering and crying through the door to each other, lucky for me i have no neighbours smile xx

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in